Seedlings - large picture

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mdpillet

Seedlings - large picture

Post by mdpillet »

Just finished moving, and the seedlings are neatly organized for now!

ElieEstephane

Re: Seedlings - large picture

Post by ElieEstephane »

Oh wooow! That's crazy! I have no words!
How do you manage such a large number of seedling pots? It would take forever to look closely for possible rot etc. I really admire your skills.
And what's the difference between the pots of the left and containers om the right? I assume the cintainers are for germination?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

ElieEstephane wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 pm Oh wooow! That's crazy! I have no words!
How do you manage such a large number of seedling pots? It would take forever to look closely for possible rot etc. I really admire your skills.
And what's the difference between the pots of the left and containers om the right? I assume the cintainers are for germination?
Sowing in large quantities like this takes a long time, but other than that it's not too much work. I keep them in bins until they're ready to be hardened off, then mist them when needed. I initially used deli cups like on the right, but that turned out to be a huge waste of space.
RiseMoon

Post by RiseMoon »

Amazinggg!! <3
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Do you repot them all or just pick the stongest seedlings?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
keith

Post by keith »

Nice =D> what kind of shade cloth is that ? 50 % ? Do you have a solid roof ? How do you keep desert mice out ?

So many questions I know I want to build something like that on my side yard. :D
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

First Reddit, then Facebook, now here. You and I frequent the same circles.
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm Do you repot them all or just pick the stongest seedlings?
I repot all. Surpluses will be sold when they're big enough.
keith wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:57 pm Nice =D> what kind of shade cloth is that ? 50 % ? Do you have a solid roof ? How do you keep desert mice out ?

So many questions I know I want to build something like that on my side yard. :D
It's 40%, but I may end up adding another layer. The roof is solid - it's a simple Palram Snap and Grow. No problems with mice so far, but can't tell for sure as it's a bit more rural than our previous place. Doors get closed at night, of course.
Vipassana wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:38 pm First Reddit, then Facebook, now here. You and I frequent the same circles.
I needed some positive reinforcement so just posted all over ;).
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

mdpillet wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:14 pm
Vipassana wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:38 pm First Reddit, then Facebook, now here. You and I frequent the same circles.
I needed some positive reinforcement so just posted all over ;).
I'll positively reinforce this obsession. While not quite as extensive as yours, I have 126 cups of seeds currently with another 36 starting this weekend. I *just* finished repotting 2016 and some 2017 starts a couple of weeks ago which took quite a while. You and I should probably start making plans to open a joint nursery at this rate. Our inventory in about 5 years will be pretty interesting. :lol:

You've inspired me to try harder...
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

Vipassana wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 pm
I'll positively reinforce this obsession. While not quite as extensive as yours, I have 126 cups of seeds currently with another 36 starting this weekend. I *just* finished repotting 2016 and some 2017 starts a couple of weeks ago which took quite a while. You and I should probably start making plans to open a joint nursery at this rate. Our inventory in about 5 years will be pretty interesting. :lol:

You've inspired me to try harder...
My first round of sowing this year is coming up as soon as I've got my 2000 sq. ft. hoophouse set up! So excited! I'd love to see your collection at some point!
jp29

Post by jp29 »

Fantastic! I can’t wait to get over there and see it all “in the flesh”.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

mdpillet wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:54 pm

My first round of sowing this year is coming up as soon as I've got my 2000 sq. ft. hoophouse set up! So excited! I'd love to see your collection at some point!
2000 sq. ft.... I'm super jealous. I really hope to get some more land on my next house specifically for a greenhouse. Hard to find land up here in the valley (affordably) compared to Tucson.

My folks have 3.3 acres right near B&B, but I'm not going to be able to convince them to build a hoop house any time soon.

I'll try to get some recent photos of my seedlings up one of these days.