Lophophora ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Atozbotanicals

Lophophora ID

Post by Atozbotanicals »

Bought as Lophophora viesca, I’m thinking it’s a fricii though no flowers yet, I have no idea what it could be other than an odd fricii
Attachments
0EB97E70-228D-46AB-93D4-D1DB18811FD7.jpeg
0EB97E70-228D-46AB-93D4-D1DB18811FD7.jpeg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
2A3E0C26-28DF-4A0C-A08E-1E11364F74E2.jpeg
2A3E0C26-28DF-4A0C-A08E-1E11364F74E2.jpeg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.
DaveW

Re: Lophophora ID

Post by DaveW »

That would be Lophophora sp. Viesca, since Viesca is the name of a town in Coahuila, Mexico, not a published specific name. As you correctly assume L. fricii does come from there, but flowers eventually would confirm it.

See:-

http://sacredcacti.com/blog/fricii/
Atozbotanicals

Post by Atozbotanicals »

So taxonomically it’s a fricii and the Viesca would be denoting to the specific population or morphological variation?
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

Maybe Matucana madisoniorum?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As you say Viesca would be the area it supposedly came from. However habitats can be vague. In the past in some areas with not much habitation often the nearest town was quoted as the locality, which can often be miles away, long before the modern use of GPS pinpointed habitats,
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I agree, lophophora viesca. It looks just like mine. I assume they are a location specific variation of a fricii. Mine has pale ivory coloured petals with a hint of a brown midstripe. Big flowers compared to other lophs.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Atozbotanicals

Post by Atozbotanicals »

Okay, thanks for the clearing up, I couldn’t find anything on the Viesca variation online, the forum is the only place I’ve found anything denoting to it other than Loph blogspot.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Yeah there is not really much out there. I managed to find only a few online references to it when I got mine. Mainly just sellers of the plant. If you go to http://lophophora.info/lophophora/stand ... e=Coahuila

They list lophophora fricii albiflora found in viesca, I assume that's the one. The only other reference of use was on http://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk/finder. ... ora+fricii but of course no pictures just location of and species collected.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND