Opuntiad for ID please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Grimm

Opuntiad for ID please

Post by Grimm »

I bought another un-labelled cactus. I did some research before buying it, I'm fairly certain it a Cumulopuntia of some kind, maybe corotilla, but would really appreciate a second opinion please. Thanks :)
Attachments
DSC_4503.JPG
DSC_4503.JPG (94.33 KiB) Viewed 870 times
phil_SK

Re: Opuntiad for ID please

Post by phil_SK »

I'm quite surprised to see these in the garden centre trade! It's Cumulopuntia subterranea, possibly the relatively recently discovered ssp pulcherrima rather than the more usual ssp subterranea.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

phil_SK wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:02 pm I'm quite surprised to see these in the garden centre trade! It's Cumulopuntia subterranea, possibly the relatively recently discovered ssp pulcherrima rather than the more usual ssp subterranea.
Many thanks :D I would agree that it looks more like pulcherrima. If I remember I will also take a photo of the root, and an update after it has acclimatised/settled (assuming I don't kill/rot it :lol: )

I think this is a plant I read about last year that I was kinda interested in, so this is a lucky find!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Maybe try to graft one of the offsets as a backup?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It's fairly hardy, mine has been down below freezing, though completely dry for months, this last week. The red flower makes it more attractive than Maihueniopsis (Tephorocactus) subterranea and some now consider it a good species rather than a variety of M. subterranea.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... lcherrimus

Before it was named M. pulcherrima it went around as M. subterranea f. Incahuasi, where it was originally found and you will still sometimes find it under that name.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Cleaned up and drying before being potted up :)

Grimm

Post by Grimm »

After a couple of months, the cactus is shriveled but with lots of healthy looking offsets forming:

I also went back last week and found B&Q had a couple more, so bought this following one to live outside. Unfortunately it has some oedema (see the black marks) which I have to make sure dry out fully without developing into rot: