~A glimpse into my cacti world~

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: ~~My succulent collection~~

Post by WayneByerly »

DesertSun wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm ... Your mix is strictly mineral if I remember right? Mine will have some organic matter in it...
Remember that cacti do NOT like having their roots constantly wet. It has been MY experience that not letting the soil of a cactus dry out completely between waterings is to invite root rot. I have killed many a cactus like this. So I have gone to using a mix that is anywhere between 80% and 100% inorganic, depending on the cactus. You can talk about "general" rules for cactus care all day long ... which will be "generally" true ... but you HAVE to remember that SOME cacti have very specific wants regarding their environment. Some will like bright sunlight ALL day long ... and some like partial shade because they sunburn easily. So for each cactus, you have to do the research for what THAT cactus wants.

You say that you have not been collecting succulents for long ... but you already have more plants that I do, and I have been growing/collecting them for years. And from what I hear you say, it seems as though you are doing good research to find out how to take care of your cacti.

Look for my posts, mainly in Member Topics, see what I've got, and If I can help you at all, I will be very glad to. Ask away ...
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:00 pm .. im not sure if i'm gonna add more compost or some peat moss or ground soil.
Hi Elie
instead of peat moss, try coir ... it drains quickly, wets faster than peat moss, and does not rot away as quickly as peat moss does. I have had quite good luck with coir ... my problems have almost ALWAYS been because I did not use a high enough percentage of inorganic materials. I am now using 80 to 100% (depending on the specific requirements of the plant) mix of pumice, coir, coarse sand, turface, and 1/4" volcanic rock. This drains quickly, wets quickly, has SOME ability to hold a little bit of water, but dries fairly fast, and is quite light, so the roots don't have to struggle to grow through it.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:37 am
ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:00 pm .. im not sure if i'm gonna add more compost or some peat moss or ground soil.
Hi Elie
instead of peat moss, try coir ... it drains quickly, wets faster than peat moss, and does not rot away as quickly as peat moss does. I have had quite good luck with coir ... my problems have almost ALWAYS been because I did not use a high enough percentage of inorganic materials. I am now using 80 to 100% (depending on the specific requirements of the plant) mix of pumice, coir, coarse sand, turface, and 1/4" volcanic rock. This drains quickly, wets quickly, has SOME ability to hold a little bit of water, but dries fairly fast, and is quite light, so the roots don't have to struggle to grow through it.
Compost is actually my favorite go to organic material. It is very rich so i don't have to fertilize often. It also disintegrates by the end of the season into soil. So when i have to repot next season, the roots will come out very freely of the now mineral mix
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

WayneByerly wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:30 am
DesertSun wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm ... Your mix is strictly mineral if I remember right? Mine will have some organic matter in it...
Remember that cacti do NOT like having their roots constantly wet. It has been MY experience that not letting the soil of a cactus dry out completely between waterings is to invite root rot. I have killed many a cactus like this. So I have gone to using a mix that is anywhere between 80% and 100% inorganic, depending on the cactus. You can talk about "general" rules for cactus care all day long ... which will be "generally" true ... but you HAVE to remember that SOME cacti have very specific wants regarding their environment. Some will like bright sunlight ALL day long ... and some like partial shade because they sunburn easily. So for each cactus, you have to do the research for what THAT cactus wants.

You say that you have not been collecting succulents for long ... but you already have more plants that I do, and I have been growing/collecting them for years. And from what I hear you say, it seems as though you are doing good research to find out how to take care of your cacti.

Look for my posts, mainly in Member Topics, see what I've got, and If I can help you at all, I will be very glad to. Ask away ...
Thank you so much Wayne, for all the kind words and the great advice you have given me! I am going to follow your watering guidance! I really want to take experienced members' advice seriously and remember what each one has to say on important issues. So, guys and gals, I watered my cacti on the 23rd of March for the first time this season. It was a sunny day, and weather has been pretty mild lately, so I took the step. I am very pleased with how the soil mix I made responds, it is not water retentive, but I may have the issue in the hot summer months of having to water very often. But, honestly, I prefer that to having root rot, in any case it's best to dry out sooner than later, right?
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Hi guys! A quick update to anyone interested. My collection is growing at a larger scale these days and I have reached the number of one hundred and fifty plants, both cacti and sucs. I notice that I am more interested in cacti, but I am always tempted by some sucs, so I get some of them also.
It's pretty crowded these days, but I intend to buy special shelve units to accommodate my cacti and sucs. I have grown an interest in cacti with interesting and wild spines, but, of course, there is noone that can deny beautiful flowers, isn't that so?
Most of my collection is now into plastic pots, as the weight is an issue and I also find them more easy to handle in terms of potting, moving, etc.
I don't buy expensive ones, as my focus is in the plants and their range, and not so in merely the aesthetics. It would be nice to have them both, naturally, but I have to choose as my space is limited in many terms.
The days are longer now, and I enjoy sitting around my plants and just breathe in the colors, textures and variety.
I wish all of you and your plants health and beauty!
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Here is a glimpse into what's new or improved/grew in my collection of cacti and sucs.
Lots of new cacti have been added as I quickly became addicted and I can't imagine spending money on houseplants any more! (ok, maybe only some exceptional specimens).
I intend to order some vertical shelf units soon, as now all are placed in homemade DIY shelves and a big table. No harm done, they manage well, but I will then make some extra space, to get even more (there is no cure for this lovely disease, such a nice addiction to have!).
Attachments
DSCN5116.jpg
DSCN5116.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5166.jpg
DSCN5166.jpg (124.15 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5265.jpg
DSCN5265.jpg (173.27 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5187.jpg
DSCN5187.jpg (74.52 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5230.jpg
DSCN5230.jpg (103.1 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5195.jpg
DSCN5195.jpg (87.83 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5244.jpg
DSCN5244.jpg (104.05 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5220.jpg
DSCN5220.jpg (114.63 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

My Oreocereus seems so much happier in his new soil mix!
Attachments
My Old man of the Andes
My Old man of the Andes
DSCN5251.jpg (126.22 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5253.jpg
DSCN5253.jpg (126.78 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5254.jpg
DSCN5254.jpg (108.57 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5107.jpg
DSCN5107.jpg (91.12 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5223.jpg
DSCN5223.jpg (72.87 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5078.jpg
DSCN5078.jpg (107.6 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
DSCN5255.jpg
DSCN5255.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
Euphorbia milii
Euphorbia milii
DSCN5188.jpg (99.23 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
Chinese proverb
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Very nice choices marina!
I really like the euphorbia! All the ones i found are terrible.
In case you need ids, the echeveria is pulidonis and the cactus is an echinopsis, maybe oxygona
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Thank you very much Elie! I just love to see how everything is growing and to also add gradually to my collection!
Thank you greatly for the ID's also! It is indeed an oxygona and today I noticed it's forming a bud for me, yay!
Chinese proverb
DesertSun

Re: ~A glimpse into my cacti world~

Post by DesertSun »

Hello guys! My cacti are doing well, noticing new growth on most of them and I also have some new succulents added. Not in the rate
that I do for cacti though. I think that by time I will come to a point when I decide to give up on sucs in favor of my cacti, so I have more space
for them, but right now it hasn't gone so far, so I'm keeping some sucs.
I ordered some more unusual cacti, I mean ones that you don't find at the local nurseries but have to buy online. I am going to slowly move towards
having some rarer ones as oppossed to the quick growing, mass sold cacti of the nurseries.
I am going to show you when they arrive!
Here are some pictures from my collection right now.
Attachments
DSCN5174.jpg
DSCN5174.jpg (136.4 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
DSCN5177.jpg
DSCN5177.jpg (138.56 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
DSCN5351.jpg
DSCN5351.jpg (95.63 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
DSCN5213.jpg
DSCN5213.jpg (115.27 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
DSCN5326.jpg
DSCN5326.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
DSCN5171.jpg
DSCN5171.jpg (104.51 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
DSCN5271.jpg
DSCN5271.jpg (79.72 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
DSCN5285.jpg
DSCN5285.jpg (128.18 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
DSCN5359.jpg
DSCN5359.jpg (108.58 KiB) Viewed 9979 times
Chinese proverb
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

DesertSun wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:12 am Hello guys! My cacti are doing well, noticing new growth on most of them and I also have some new succulents added. Not in the rate
that I do for cacti though. I think that by time I will come to a point when I decide to give up on sucs in favor of my cacti, so I have more space
for them, but right now it hasn't gone so far, so I'm keeping some sucs.
I ordered some more unusual cacti, I mean ones that you don't find at the local nurseries but have to buy online. I am going to slowly move towards
having some rarer ones as oppossed to the quick growing, mass sold cacti of the nurseries.
I am going to show you when they arrive!
Here are some pictures from my collection right now.
What’s the second plant from the top? Some sort of Parodia?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Beautiful new additions! In my opinion, mass grown plants are a pleasure to keep. They grow fast, flower easily and don't give you much trouble.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Briguytm wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:44 am What’s the second plant from the top? Some sort of Parodia?
Notocactus (ex parodia) agnetae
Briguytm

Post by Briguytm »

Thanks!! My friend has one and I haven’t really gotten into that genus much so I was never able to tell him.
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Hello guys and thank you for your comments and help!
My balcony is looking super cool right now, as I have changed my cacti display. My fiance helped me into putting up new shelves,
which are still DIY, but better that the previous ones. I have now more space to put my new cacti that I have ordered and can't wait to have!
Some are blooming and I'm going to show you. Also, some of my succulents are right now in full bloom, mostly Sedum, Kalanchoe and Echeverias.
I have some cuttings that I am going to pot today and I am going to show you later in the week.
As my succulents are growing and as they are getting bigger, I decided to expand the collection to the yard we have downstairs, as I am sure I will need the room for my cacti collection. Love the succs, but love my cacti more!
Here what is new into my cacti world!
Attachments
DSCN5404.jpg
DSCN5404.jpg (90.01 KiB) Viewed 9895 times
DSCN5450.jpg
DSCN5450.jpg (186.65 KiB) Viewed 9895 times
DSCN5451.jpg
DSCN5451.jpg (183.59 KiB) Viewed 9895 times
DSCN5439.jpg
DSCN5439.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 9895 times
DSCN5434.jpg
DSCN5434.jpg (105.71 KiB) Viewed 9895 times