My small collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Pompom

Re: My small collection

Post by Pompom »

I'll add here this one picture which explains why I have to rotate the vigorous aloe every single day. It's not really etiolating right now so it gets enough light but the light comes angled which is a thing I can't do anything about. All I can do is to rotate the plant daily or let it bend badly.

I got these pictures today. I was away from home for two whole days and it already bent this much. All I can hope is that it slows down in the winter or it ends up badly misshapen. A real question here is that how cold do you guys think it can endure? I think best for it to be outside till it's too cold for it and then I bring it inside and try to keep it as dry as it tolerates. Just to slow it down a bit.
tiltingaloe.jpg
tiltingaloe.jpg (66.32 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
tiltingaloe2.jpg
tiltingaloe2.jpg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:04 pm The summer is about to end here now. The weather cooled down and bees, wasps and bumblebees are about to lose their minds. Wasp queens have left the colonies and went to find a nice place to hibernate. Now the wasps are bullying the people. Same goes for the bees which are pretty clueless what to do since all the flowers are dead. They try to find last food for winter from good smelling people.
So strange... August is one of our hottest months, and yet yours is already cooling off... but if your weather is starting to cool off don't forget to start cutting back on the amount of water your cacti are getting.

(BTW i found your statements above about the bees to be quite funny)

Do you know what latitude you live on? If you do not, would I be too nosey to ask what city you live in so that I might look up what latitude you live on? I really do not mean to pry.

Your Aloe
The one I have rather profoundly looks like the one you have, with one exception. You see how the leaves on your Aloe , above where the little red bug is, are dish shaped like leaves normally are? And how they are much thicker below where the little red bug is? SO much thicker that they look almost round. All of the leaves on my aloe look like the leaves on yours above where the little red bug is. None of them look as thick as the leaves on the bottom of your Aloe are.
aloe.jpg
aloe.jpg (95.31 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

The Aloe is on the top shelf in my living room. So as long as I'm at it, here are pictures (and please, forgive the the lack of quality) of the top and bottom shelves. These pictures are less pictures of the plants as they are illustrations of what my window setup looks like. The living room is strictly succulents. No cacti at all. I have a 2 Shelf stand sitting on top of a small table with a pair of 4 foot fluorescent lighting fixtures. One for both top and bottom shelves. The electrical requirements, money-wise, are insignificant.

Top shelf
top shelf.jpg
top shelf.jpg (66.89 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

Bottom shelf
bottom shelf.jpg
bottom shelf.jpg (85.3 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

Somewhere here in this topic, you posted a picture of a cactus with a small white flower on it, making a comment about how long it lasted. The cactus in the picture below, (Mammillaria crinita) has been doing what you can see in the picture all summer long. It started in the spring and has made as many as 5, and as few as 1, new flower everyday!!
M. crinita .jpg
M. crinita .jpg (143.7 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

You posted the picture of your Mammillaria hahniana and made mention of how much growth it had made this year. I include a picture of mine below just to remind you how big yours may get.
M. hahniana .jpg
M. hahniana .jpg (119.79 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

You did the same with your Mammillaria karwinskiana... again I include a picture of mine below only in order to remind you of what yours may do in the future. I hope I haven't upset you by hijacking your blog... My one single intent was to show you pictures of mine, which are a little older, in order to show you what yours may do in the future. I hope you find this useful or interesting to any extent at all. If you don't find the inclusion of these pictures useful to some extent, let me know and I can edit this post and remove them.
M. karwinskiana.jpg
M. karwinskiana.jpg (168.42 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

You seem to make a distinction between friends, and friends on the internet. My definition of friends is, "people that will be good to you and not demand anything in return" . If people demand things from you in return for what they do, then they are only using you for self-gratification. In that respect, I do feel that the people that I have met here are indeed true friends. They have been kind, respectful, and very freely giving of their time and their knowledge, and do not demand anything from me at all. I have exchanged plants with several people here in the United States. I would exchange plants with my friends overseas, except where the Damned government regulations (spell that "Customs" ) prevent me or make it extravagantly difficult and expensive to do so. So I do indeed consider the people that I have met here to be my friends. In that respect, I also include you on that list.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:09 pm A real question here is that how cold do you guys think it can endure?
A C & S seller here in the US says this about Aloe variegata
Recommended temperature zone: USDA: 9-11
Frost tolerance: Hardy to 18°F (-7°C)
Minimum avg. temperature: 50°F (10°C)
Sun Exposure: Light shade
Origin: Western South Africa, Namibia
Growth habits: Rosettes up to 12" tall (30 cm)
Watering needs: Keep relatively dry, its main growing periods are spring and fall.

Indoor Plants, Care & Propagation
https://indoor-plants.net/gonialoe-variegata/
Says this about Gonialoe (a form of aloe?)

Gonialoe variegata can be grown warm the year round. A winter rest period at about 10 to 15 °C (50-59 °F) is also fine. Minimum temperature is 5 °C (41 °F). If the Tiger Aloe does not want to flower place it at 10-15 °C for 8 to 12 weeks.

There's more info out there than you probably even WANT to know about.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I too have found the comments about bees hilarious :lol: it's generally wasps that bother us here at altitude in september but a good trick is to smoke them away. Good thing we're always barbecue-ing!
It's crazy how much a plant can grow and in a season and you'd still miss it untill you see pictures. I've had plants literally double and triple in size and not realize it until i actually looked at photos. Just the other day i was mad at my 2 spiral cereus forbesii for barely growing all season then after looking at photos i realised they have grown to almost double their initial size! Hope they flower next year! Same happened with espostoa melanostele which are a pain in the butt to track. They're all covered in wool so you have no point of reference. I think you'd like to pet these, they have soft spines and lots of wool. Disclaimer: There's a cactus in this photo
Abundant wool
Abundant wool
20180416_084824-800x600.jpg (89.84 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
Anywho, looks like you have some great progress this season. Not bad for your first season right? Too bad winter is coming just as you started enjoying growth. How's your big opuntia doing btw? Haven't heard about it in a while
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 pm They're all covered in wool so you have no point of reference.
I have never seen a cactus with SO much wool! I'm not sure that I would want to add this particular genus/species to my wishlist ... I cannot even identify this plant (without prior experience I guess) as a cactus. It looks like a cotton ball that has fallen on the ground. :D
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

WayneByerly wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 pm
ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 pm They're all covered in wool so you have no point of reference.
I have never seen a cactus with SO much wool! I'm not sure that I would want to add this particular genus/species to my wishlist ... I cannot even identify this plant (without prior experience I guess) as a cactus. It looks like a cotton ball that has fallen on the ground. :D
It's a cactus i recommend to everyone and personally have more than 30 of these (and still buying!). I just love them and love to pet them. The one in the photo is an espostoa melanostele that's a tad hairier than his buddies but there's no shame in that and he shouldn't be shy and self conscious about it. It's a very common cactus and probably one of the top 5 most widespread wholesale cacti so i bet you can find one very cheap.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:00 pm So strange... August is one of our hottest months, and yet yours is already cooling off... but if your weather is starting to cool off don't forget to start cutting back on the amount of water your cacti are getting.

(BTW i found your statements above about the bees to be quite funny)

Do you know what latitude you live on? If you do not, would I be too nosey to ask what city you live in so that I might look up what latitude you live on? I really do not mean to pry.
Usually August is one of the hottest months here too, and it still will be, but the temperatures are not rising above 20 degrees in Celsius (68 F) anymore. It seems they are staying around 10-15 degrees next week. I live almost literally on the Arctic circle, in the city of Rovaniemi. The city center is only 6km away from the place where it crosses.
About the bees, I'm just trying to describe how they lose their minds :lol: I'm not scared of bees or bumblebees but I still don't want them to buzz in front of my face like "hello there, you flower? No? Maybe your hand is a flower? No? Maybe your friends face is a flower? No...?"- like thing :lol: Wasps I don't like since they fly around like "BUZZ, WHOOSH, NOTHING STOPS ME NOW. YOU THERE, I'LL FLY THROUGH YOU CAUSE I CAN! WITH MY STINGER POINTED TOWARDS WHATEVER I FLY! HERE!! LET ME SIT HERE, THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO USE MY STINGER BECAUSE I CAN!"- like. They are just out of their minds. :lol: :lol:
WayneByerly wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:00 pm Your Aloe
The one I have rather profoundly looks like the one you have, with one exception. You see how the leaves on your Aloe , above where the little red bug is, are dish shaped like leaves normally are? And how they are much thicker below where the little red bug is? SO much thicker that they look almost round. All of the leaves on my aloe look like the leaves on yours above where the little red bug is. None of them look as thick as the leaves on the bottom of your Aloe are.

The Aloe is on the top shelf in my living room. So as long as I'm at it, here are pictures (and please, forgive the the lack of quality) of the top and bottom shelves. These pictures are less pictures of the plants as they are illustrations of what my window setup looks like. The living room is strictly succulents. No cacti at all. I have a 2 Shelf stand sitting on top of a small table with a pair of 4 foot fluorescent lighting fixtures. One for both top and bottom shelves. The electrical requirements, money-wise, are insignificant.
Above where the red bug is, there is a set of etiolated leaves from spring when there was not enough light but it wanted to start to grow anyways. So they should be more like the ones in the bottom area which kinds it's actually growing right now. I can easily tell if the leaf is etiolated or not since the normal growth should feel like sandpaper and the etiolated leaves are just smooth and discolored. You remember when I got the aloe? I thought it was kinda normal looking but it surprised myself too how plumbed the leaves got after it grew some roots. It's amazing it recovered from the rootloss because it really was pretty empty when it came to me.
It doesn't bother me if you post your pictures here! Thanks for sharing! I love how organized your shelve is. Maybe my aloe needs to go under the growing light too.
WayneByerly wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:00 pm Somewhere here in this topic, you posted a picture of a cactus with a small white flower on it, making a comment about how long it lasted. The cactus in the picture below, (Mammillaria crinita) has been doing what you can see in the picture all summer long. It started in the spring and has made as many as 5, and as few as 1, new flower everyday!!

You posted the picture of your Mammillaria hahniana and made mention of how much growth it had made this year. I include a picture of mine below just to remind you how big yours may get.

You did the same with your Mammillaria karwinskiana... again I include a picture of mine below only in order to remind you of what yours may do in the future. I hope I haven't upset you by hijacking your blog... My one single intent was to show you pictures of mine, which are a little older, in order to show you what yours may do in the future. I hope you find this useful or interesting to any extent at all. If you don't find the inclusion of these pictures useful to some extent, let me know and I can edit this post and remove them.
Again, it's OK for you to post pictures here! It's OK for everyone to post pictures here. Feel free to do it anytime :) I love it how people can communicate not only with words but with pictures too.
About the pics you shared. I love your m. crinita flowers! They are different from "normal" mammillaria flowers. And I hope you know how much I adore your m. hahniana! There's never enough pictures of it. I just can't imagine mine can be there at some point too. Are my eyes lying? Does the hahniana have pup coming from the side or what is the circular area there?
I can't wait to see the dichotomous split the karwinskiana might make. It could be really interesting to see.
WayneByerly wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:00 pm You seem to make a distinction between friends, and friends on the internet. My definition of friends is, "people that will be good to you and not demand anything in return" . If people demand things from you in return for what they do, then they are only using you for self-gratification. In that respect, I do feel that the people that I have met here are indeed true friends. They have been kind, respectful, and very freely giving of their time and their knowledge, and do not demand anything from me at all. I have exchanged plants with several people here in the United States. I would exchange plants with my friends overseas, except where the Damned government regulations (spell that "Customs" ) prevent me or make it extravagantly difficult and expensive to do so. So why do indeed consider the people that I have met here to be my friends. In that respect, I also include you on that list.
Your definition sounds pretty logical! I've never made a definition for friends, but now when I think about it, I've made true friends here! Usually I don't hang in internet with people I don't know so I never thought it would be that "easy" to make friends. In real life, I'm sometimes pretty awkward with people. I need time to think what I say and what I think which is not always possible and if it's not, I get confused and say something I don't mean just because I have to say something... To me it feels difficult to make friends because of that. Maybe in internet is easier since I can think longer and correct my awkward statements before posting. :lol:
I now actually noticed that I would love to meet many people here! You included. It doesn't matter I've never met you before, first time is a time too! Maybe that feeling is my definition for friends? The people I'd like to meet and hang with are my friends!
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:15 pm I think you'd like to pet these, they have soft spines and lots of wool.

Anywho, looks like you have some great progress this season. Not bad for your first season right? Too bad winter is coming just as you started enjoying growth. How's your big opuntia doing btw? Haven't heard about it in a while
I'd really love to pet it! Every day. I've never seen cactus this wooly before! It's awesome.
About the opuntia... Ehh... I had to let it go. With all the sun and warmth we had it still continued etiolating. It seems I live far too north to grow opuntia monacantha. It was like 30cm tall (10cm etiolated parts) and I knew it would go just worse next winter. And next summer which probably is not going to be as warm and sunny than this summer was. I didn't bother to take cuttings either since they would've ended up etiolated as well. I didn't want to advertise about it cause I felt kinda ashamed I let the plant go in that bad condition. :lol: It's now in better place... I hope.
WayneByerly wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 pmI have never seen a cactus with SO much wool! I'm not sure that I would want to add this particular genus/species to my wishlist ... I cannot even identify this plant (without prior experience I guess) as a cactus. It looks like a cotton ball that has fallen on the ground.
I too thought Elie had posted a picture of some kind of cotton ball or a fake bunny tail or a cactus with a bubble bath :lol: I was pretty confused before I read his post!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I swear they are real cacti :lol: Here's a part of the espostoa bunch (with a couple of intruders). You need to get one!
20180815_124253-1024x1365.jpg
20180815_124253-1024x1365.jpg (132.43 KiB) Viewed 2904 times
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:44 am I swear they are real cacti :lol: Here's a part of the espostoa bunch (with a couple of intruders). You need to get one!
20180815_124253-1024x1365.jpg
I will get one if I find one (or two or three...)! I love your fluffers, especially the one closest. Can't get enough of petting cacti! :lol: :lol: Maybe it helps my I-want-a-pet-fewer too. Yesterday I visited my parents cause I wanted to pick up my favorite berries, red currants, from their bush. No one else eats them so I get them all. How hard it was to can the berries since my cat wanted to help (read: wanted food) and I couldn't do anything else but pet her. She's too cute if she wants to. If someone does anything in the kitchen, she comes by and "helps". She also purred loudly. It's so heartbreaking to leave her every time since she has been my best friend for 17 years already. I'm always afraid it's the last time to see her :idea:
My lovely baby. :love10:
cathelping.jpg
cathelping.jpg (50.03 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
cat.jpg
cat.jpg (86.19 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

By canning you mean you are making jelly? It looks so yummy! We don't have red currant here but we have similar berries.
The color of your cat! And the eyes! Very beautiful :D He must have been very confused about what his subjects are doing :lol:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:07 pm By canning you mean you are making jelly? It looks so yummy! We don't have red currant here but we have similar berries.
The color of your cat! And the eyes! Very beautiful :D He must have been very confused about what his subjects are doing :lol:
Oops, I picked up a wrong word it seems... I'm sorry for the confusion. I just put the berries in plastic boxes and throw them into a freezer for later use. I like to eat them frozen. Sometimes I add them to my oatmeal or use them as ingredients of cheesecake. But most of them I eat as such.
And my cat, she's adorable right? :D It's a girl BTW (Well she actually has a boys name 'cause me and my brother wanted so when we were kids.) :lol: :lol: She sat there like "uhhmm, hello, excuse me, I'd like to be loved now. You don't need to clean up those disgusting things, your ruler is here. And I'm starving btw, my cup is half empty. It's unacceptable". She's a diva, her favorite foods are raw animal heart, expensive meat like moose and reindeer and expensive cheese... When she smells those, she forgets every rule in the house to get them as fast as possible. I love her. She has character. :lol:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Hello Pompom
I hope this note finds you in good health and good cheer!
WayneByerly wrote:Do you know what latitude you live on?
Pompom wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:40 pm Almost literally on the Arctic circle, in the city of Rovaniemi.
Wikipedia says
The position of the Arctic Circle is not fixed; as of 11 August 2018, it runs 66°33′47.3″ north of the Equator.[1] Its latitude depends on the Earth's axial tilt, which fluctuates within a margin of 2° over a 40,000-year period, due to tidal forces resulting from the orbit of the Moon.[2] Consequently, the Arctic Circle is currently drifting northwards at a speed of about 15 metres (49 feet) per year.

Latlong.net says
Rovaniemi, Finland is located at Finland country in the Towns place category with the gps coordinates of 66° 30' 11.0124'' N and 25° 43' 37.0812'' E.

WayneByerly says...
So you are literally within 0 deg, 3 min of the wrctic circle... this year anyway.

AccuWeather.com says your temperature is now 50F (10C) ... todays high here was 90F (32.2C) and my remote thermometer says its 96F (35.5C) in the greenhouse.

What an extraordinary difference!
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:40 pm "BUZZ, WHOOSH, NOTHING STOPS ME NOW. YOU THERE, I'LL FLY THROUGH YOU CAUSE I CAN! WITH MY STINGER POINTED TOWARDS WHATEVER I FLY! HERE!! LET ME SIT HERE, THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO USE MY...
I found this whole characterization of bees to be scremin' hilarious!!! You are SO funny!
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:12 pm Hello Pompom
I hope this note finds you in good health and good cheer!
WayneByerly wrote:Do you know what latitude you live on?
Pompom wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:40 pm Almost literally on the Arctic circle, in the city of Rovaniemi.
Wikipedia says
The position of the Arctic Circle is not fixed; as of 11 August 2018, it runs 66°33′47.3″ north of the Equator.[1] Its latitude depends on the Earth's axial tilt, which fluctuates within a margin of 2° over a 40,000-year period, due to tidal forces resulting from the orbit of the Moon.[2] Consequently, the Arctic Circle is currently drifting northwards at a speed of about 15 metres (49 feet) per year.

Latlong.net says
Rovaniemi, Finland is located at Finland country in the Towns place category with the gps coordinates of 66° 30' 11.0124'' N and 25° 43' 37.0812'' E.

WayneByerly says...
So you are literally within 0 deg, 3 min of the wrctic circle... this year anyway.

AccuWeather.com says your temperature is now 50F (10C) ... todays high here was 90F (32.2C) and my remote thermometer says its 96F (35.5C) in the greenhouse.

What an extraordinary difference!
Thanks for the info wayne! This years weather was really weird overall here. First it was winter, then boom out of nowhere it was warm and snow melted and it was summer. There was no real spring. Normally our temperatures in summer are hanging around 15-25 C but this year we got temperatures around 30 for weeks. Then a while ago, boom, out of nowhere the temperature fell under 20 C. That makes it harder to adjust to the weather, the changes feel too radical. Let's hope my plants can adjust better than I do... :lol: I hope your weather treats you better than ours.
I felt this picture was funny, it was added in to many different Finnish media. It describes very well how the unusually warm weather looked like here. Reindeer came from forests to cool down and in the background you see a wildfire raging (of course the wildfire isn't funny)... That kind of summer we had :D https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 117&type=3 The reindeer btw are all owned by someone, but most of the year they roam freely where they want to. Then they are gathered together, sorted by who owns them and then some of them gets to live and some of them are going to get slaughtered. If you ever encountered a reindeer farmer, don't ask how many reindeer they have. That's basically asking how much money they have :lol: