Hana's cacti

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Tom in Tucson

Re: Hana's cacti

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Hanazono wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:04 am I sowed seeds of Astrophytum myriostigma cv Shimairi Onzuka in 2005.
I lost original ones but some descendants have shown the character of cultivar. Shimairi Onzuka has "V" marks over Onzuka body.
Awesome!
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Yesterday was a good sunshine day. It was mid winter but the temperature in the greenhouse reached to 27 'C in the afternoon.
I could see some flowers of Uebelmannia.
Attachments
U. pectinifera
U. pectinifera
IMG_3172 - Copy.JPG (167.8 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
U. pectinifera
U. pectinifera
IMG_3173 - Copy.JPG (161.87 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
U. buiningii
U. buiningii
IMG_3174 - Copy.JPG (155.86 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
Aztekium123

Post by Aztekium123 »

Your greenhouse is really great, the plants are growing very well~
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Hanazono wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:04 am I sowed seeds of Astrophytum myriostigma cv Shimairi Onzuka in 2005.
I lost original ones but some descendants have shown the character of cultivar. Shimairi Onzuka has "V" marks over Onzuka body.
One of my Onzuka seedlings shows this pattern. Now I know what to call it.
Frank, what do you think would be the outcome of crossing Onzuka tricostata with nudum tricostata? As long as I get a good percentage of three rib plants I won't complain, but it would be nice to see some interesting patterning! I plan on making this cross this summer as both are now flowering size. Also, have you heard of Superkabuto ''gold''? It has the gold coloured felting instead of white. I got some seeds from this plant but some of them look like hybrids to me (raised ribs) some look like asterias. (flat ribs) I think the crossing and back-crossing between species is becoming confusing and disordered. There will be a time when habitat collected seed of Astrophytum with field numbers will increase in value?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Mike,
what do you think would be the outcome of crossing Onzuka tricostata with nudum tricostata? As long as I get a good percentage of three rib plants I won't complain, but it would be nice to see some interesting patterning! I plan on making this cross this summer as both are now flowering size. Also, have you heard of Superkabuto ''gold''? It has the gold coloured felting instead of white. I got some seeds from this plant but some of them look like hybrids to me (raised ribs) some look like asterias. (flat ribs) I think the crossing and back-crossing between species is becoming confusing and disordered. There will be a time when habitat collected seed of Astrophytum with field numbers will increase in value?
I think 3-ribs gene is positive and so you may get a good percentage of 3-ribs seedlings if both parents were 3-ribs plants.

Body flecking of Onzuka has some issues. Since original Onzuka started from just one-plant, various forms of myriostigma were mixed later. Even if it was Onzuka x Onzuka, seedlings show various forms which are many normal flecking myriostigma and some Onzuka.
Seedlings of nudum x Onzuka or Onzuka x nudum may be mixed as Onzuka, normal myriostigma flecking and nudum.

I do not know Superkabuto "gold". I know superkaboto "not white".

I am quite sure "Raised ribs" asterias is not a true asterias. It is mixed some other Astrophytum species.
Asterias dose not recieve pollen of any other Astrophytum. If you used an asterias as a pollen reciever (mother), this type of mistake will never be happened.

Astrophytum are CITES Appendix I species. Is it possible to collect seeds of CITES Appendix I in habitat? I am not sure.

Frank
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Hanazono wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:30 am G'morning Mike,
what do you think would be the outcome of crossing Onzuka tricostata with nudum tricostata? As long as I get a good percentage of three rib plants I won't complain, but it would be nice to see some interesting patterning! I plan on making this cross this summer as both are now flowering size. Also, have you heard of Superkabuto ''gold''? It has the gold coloured felting instead of white. I got some seeds from this plant but some of them look like hybrids to me (raised ribs) some look like asterias. (flat ribs) I think the crossing and back-crossing between species is becoming confusing and disordered. There will be a time when habitat collected seed of Astrophytum with field numbers will increase in value?
I think 3-ribs gene is positive and so you may get a good percentage of 3-ribs seedlings if both parents were 3-ribs plants.

Body flecking of Onzuka has some issues. Since original Onzuka started from just one-plant, various forms of myriostigma were mixed later. Even if it was Onzuka x Onzuka, seedlings show various forms which are many normal flecking myriostigma and some Onzuka.
Seedlings of nudum x Onzuka or Onzuka x nudum may be mixed as Onzuka, normal myriostigma flecking and nudum.

I am quite sure "Raised ribs" asterias is not a true asterias. It is mixed some other Astrophytum species.
Asterias dose not recieve pollen of any other Astrophytum. If you used an asterias as a pollen reciever (mother), this type of mistake will never be happened.

Astrophytum are CITES Appendix I species. Is it possible to collect seeds of CITES Appendix I in habitat? I am not sure.

Frank
As far as Superkabuto "gold" is concerned This form of Astrophytum asterias has many gold regions.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Tom,

Thanks for your information. The photo of asterias you indicated is a hanazono kabuto. I have several matured hanazono kabutos. The colour of their flecking is as same as the asterias on the photo. I did not know the colour is called "gold".

I have many matured super kabutos which flecking colour is similar to the asterias indicated by you.
I call them "not white" super kabutos.
Two photos are attached for your information. They are matured super kabutos and the mutation of flecking has been completed.

Frank
Attachments
A. asterias cv super kabuto
IMG_3187 - Copy.JPG (158.46 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
IMG_3188 - Copy.JPG (165.12 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Hanazono wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:30 am G'morning Mike,

Frank
Thanks for information. I got the superkabuto ''gold'' seeds from Ukraine. I don't know if they came from the same seed pod. Some have perfectly flat ribs and some have slightly raised ribs and some look like superkabuto white, but if they all came from the same pod they will all be hybrids even if they look like asterias. I have a plant which came from seeds named asterias ''multipunctata'' It has many very fine spots which do not touch each other. I have crossed it with another similar plant so maybe I can make my own new line of ''white'' asterias.

You said....''Asterias dose not recieve pollen of any other Astrophytum. If you used an asterias as a pollen reciever (mother), this type of mistake will never be happened.''

Does this mean that If I have a plant which accepts pollen from another species, it is not asterias even if it looks like one?
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'afternoon Mike,
I have a plant which came from seeds named asterias ''multipunctata'' It has many very fine spots which do not touch each other. I have crossed it with another similar plant so maybe I can make my own new line of ''white'' asterias.
I do not know now but arond 300 types asterias including cultivars seeds were available 20 years ago in Japan. There were many white kabutos but one of them was ISW. ISW means Iwata Snow White which was developed by Mr Iwata. Super kabuto and Miracle kabuto show flecking mutation but ISW does not. ISWis really white and white dots do not touch eachother.
Does this mean that If I have a plant which accepts pollen from another species, it is not asterias even if it looks like one?
Yes it does. A true asterias does not receive pollen of any other Astrophytum species which is quite common idear among asterias collecters. If you want to make an asterias related hybrid, you have to use asterias as pollen supplier.

Frank
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Although July is mid of winter, I can see some flowering buds on a Ferocactus glaucescence. The cactus was on a shady ground and was moved to sunny spot after the potting last year. I have never seen flowers of the cactus yet.
Attachments
F. glaucescens
F. glaucescens
IMG_3191 - Copy.JPG (161.23 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Inside of greenhouse is very quiet but many Gymnocalycium species have formed new spines. The photo is one of them, cardenasianum.
Attachments
G. cardenasianum
G. cardenasianum
IMG_3192 - Copy.JPG (178.84 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

The photo is a Gymnocalycium spegazzinii which has also formed new spines. This cactus stopped growing 2 years ago and I found all roots were rotted out. Fortunately the rotting did not reach to the body and I repotted.
It seems the cactus has recoverd well and the pot has been tight. I will repot it next spring.
I bought seeds and sowed in 2003. The curret size is 14 cm in diameter currently.
Attachments
G. spegazzinii
G. spegazzinii
IMG_3193 - Copy.JPG (146.89 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

It is told that the life of asterias cultivars is around 20 years. Many of my super kabutos are almost 20 years old but it seems they can live longer.
The photo is a super kabuto, 19 years old which has started to turn to kikko form.
Attachments
IMG_3194 - Copy.JPG (129.84 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

The photo 1 is an Astrophytum myriostigma cv Onzuka which I have to operate next spring. Since I got seeds from my friend, the history of seeds were unknown.

I operated a similar one 2 years ago. The photo 2 is current bottom and photo 3 is the current top.
The offset on photo 2 is around 3 cm in diameter.
Attachments
Photo 1
Photo 1
IMG_3196 - Copy.JPG (120.93 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Photo 2
Photo 2
IMG_3197 - Copy.JPG (110.61 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Photo 3
Photo 3
IMG_3198 - Copy.JPG (171.86 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

The post of today is an Astrophytum hybrid which is created by myself.
Pollen receiver: ornatum v nudum
Pollen supplier: myriostigma cv Onzuka

Both cacti have Onzuka flecking and small spines
The hybrid on 1st photo has 5 ribs and 2nd one has 7 ribs. I have not seen their flowers yet.
Attachments
A. hybrid
A. hybrid
IMG_3200 - Copy.JPG (177.57 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
A. hybrid
A. hybrid
IMG_3201 - Copy.JPG (193.17 KiB) Viewed 1669 times