Butterflies and Moths

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
mikayak

Butterflies and Moths

Post by mikayak »

Funny you say that about collectors. I am also a butterfly and moth collector - and you would be suprised at the anger and vitriol directed at "our kind" sometimes - mostly by people who wouldn't think twice about smashing a spider, swatting a fly or exterminating a nest of Cockroaches - but kill a butterfly and you are vile & evil.

But, the funny thing is that there is a butterfly known as "The Atala" <i>Eumaeus atala</i>

It is from Florida and disappeared back in the 40's. In 1965, it was put on the extinct list. Well, it was used as the symbol of man being evil for years. Then, in the late 70's a collector - somebody looking to go out and kill butterflies - found a tiny colony of them. Thankfully, he didn't tell any governmental agency, but, instead, studied them, took some ova home and began rearing them - all of which would have not been possible had government gotten involved.
He continued to raise them and release them back into the environment. In the years since they had been extirpated, the ornamental plant "Coontie" <i>Zamia integrifolia</i> had been widely planted in gardens throughout S. Florida. And, these guys LOVE Coontie.
He did not announce the return of them for many years - until they were becoming rather common in areas. Now, it is even considered a pest by some nurseries - a pretty pest - but a pest.
And, were it not for an individual seeking to find one for his personal collection, it most likely WOULD be extinct now.
cactusbug

buttyfly

Post by cactusbug »

mikayak,
I love that story. It helps my "faith" in mankind, which is usually diminished daily. I sell to the public you see, hence my bias.
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

Thanks,

Love my bugs. I raise hundreds of the Giant Silkmoths every year. It started just for fun...but has become a jewelry business.

I am from Maryland and every summer spend a few days searching for 2 different species that are "supposedly" extirpated from this area. They are Bog-dwelling species and there are still some fairly remote VERY hard to get to areas along the headwaters of some of the bay tributaries - perfect habitat for them.

But, it is extremely hard. Nothing but Swamp, greenbrier and some other VERY nasty thornbush and more swamp. And, I have "guess" at when they might be flying. 10 days either way and I'd miss their flight period.

So, I try to take 2-3 days every summer and check out some of the most remote area - hoping to see eitther the Mitchell's Satyr

or the Silver Bordered Fritillary

Both can be found elsewhere - but have not been seen in Maryland for 20 years. I AM gonna find one of these suckers one day.....
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

How hard is it to use the silk from the cocoons? I've always wanted to try silkworms.
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

I don't really know. Different moths have different qualities of silk. The "true" silkmoth is a very unimpressive little guy called <i>Bombyx mori</i> - from India. Here's a photo:

But there are others, most notable is the Cynthia Moth <i>Samia cynthia</i> which also makes a nice silk cocoon.

Here's a good site I found on rearing them...

http://www.wormspit.com/bombyxsilkworms.htm

I think you have to soak the cocoons in some enzyme to break them apart. After that (well, actually even about that), I am clueless!