greetings from the frozen north!

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
RoseBarn

greetings from the frozen north!

Post by RoseBarn »

Hi everyone!
I have been growing cacti/succulents for awhile here in Wisconsin (not as far north as some of you I'm sure) but it feels like the far side of the moon as far as cacti go.
I'm slowly rebuilding a collection badly hurt by a move, two hundred plus different types down to sixty :cry:

Now my Dad has helped me build a lovely big greenhouse and I'm hoping for some tips on growing in one :D
7george

Re: greetings from the frozen north!

Post by 7george »

Welcome! You are not alone in the North.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

RoseBarn wrote: I have been growing cacti/succulents for awhile here in Wisconsin (not as far north as some of you I'm sure) but it feels like the far side of the moon as far as cacti go.
I am about 500 to 1000 kilometers further up north than you (and many thousands further to the west). About the same latitude as southern Canada. My climate is quite moderate, thanks to the Northsea. Regarding temperatures both minimum and maximum, this helps growing plants, both winter and summer active succulents.

I now start to wonder, how bad is your climate?
RoseBarn

Post by RoseBarn »

Aiko wrote:
RoseBarn wrote: I have been growing cacti/succulents for awhile here in Wisconsin (not as far north as some of you I'm sure) but it feels like the far side of the moon as far as cacti go.
I am about 500 to 1000 kilometers further up north than you (and many thousands further to the west). About the same latitude as southern Canada. My climate is quite moderate, thanks to the Northsea. Regarding temperatures both minimum and maximum, this helps growing plants, both winter and summer active succulents.

I now start to wonder, how bad is your climate?
Absolutely terrible, for succulents anyway. I sometimes joke that the only thing we can grow in Wisconsin is icebergs!
Our winter low for last year was -40f with a 40 degree deference between day and night temps not uncommon.
Since I'm an avid veg gardener also... I could do with a little more summer :)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

That is cold. We usually get a few nights of -5 to -10C (14-23F), but most of the days and many nights are frost free. We do get a lot of rain (and wind), to make it less nice. But a greenhouse could easily shelter plants from this.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome from another cold climate!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
RoseBarn

Post by RoseBarn »

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
Aiko wrote:That is cold. We usually get a few nights of -5 to -10C (14-23F), but most of the days and many nights are frost free. We do get a lot of rain (and wind), to make it less nice. But a greenhouse could easily shelter plants from this.
That's a lot warmer then I would've guessed, if the daylight swing isn't to bad. Your plants must love it.