Plant Swap

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
JuanKilo

Plant Swap

Post by JuanKilo »

Have you considered adding a forum for people that have cactus to swap?
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I like the idea also 8)

Bill
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hmmm. Sound interesting, but what are the requirments? In other words what roll would CactiGuide.com play in facillitating that? I take it you're thinking of more than just posting a message for trade. I haven't been opposed to that. Such as our new ebay member -as long as people are active on the forum and not just blatently using the forum as a plug or for some other agenda.

Let me know.
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Sounds good to me :wink:
but as Daiv said
as long as people are active on the forum and not just blatently using the forum as a plug or for some other agenda.
JuanKilo

Post by JuanKilo »

Daiv, I'm an avid cactus collector. I buy some extras at times, for a couple of reasons. I'm in my local cactus and succulent club which is River City Cactus Club out of Omaha Nebraska, and I'm also a member of the national Cactus and Succulent Club in the U.S.A. I purchase extras so I can barter with club members for things they have I don't, and vice versa. Last couple of years I'm trying my hand at sowing seeds, so that also gives me some extras to barter with. I barter a few of these on another cactus/succulent web site. I'm not trying to make any money at it, just enjoy the hobby and learn anything I can that's relevant to the hobby, while sharing what I have.

It could perhaps be just a section in your forum where anyone could post they have a plant to trade, and what they're willing to accept in trade. Private emails can be sent to work the details out person to person, exchange address, confirm shipping methods and the like. Sort of like posting an ad in a newspaper that you have something to trade. If a person is interested, they could leave a return post and then the people involved work the details out privately.

I have never seen just a cactus bartering forum tho, and it seems you've a great crowd of regulars that is growing with new members weekly that might find it interesting and fun.

I've been having a great time trading mine, and for instance I'm open to what I recieve in exchange. I've done cactus seedlings for tree seedlings, cactus for handmade cactus pottery, seeds of plants, flowers, books, even a painting of some cactus hand painted. I've even met some of the people in real life that live close to my area.

I have not attempted to do any international trading, as the laws vary to much for me to understand easily. But there are cactus aficianados world wide, in probably every continent and country worldwide.

Last thought, there's a movie about a guy who plows under a corn field while it's growing to make a baseball diamond, and his neighbors think he's a loon. But the line in the movie came true, "build it, and they will come". It could perhaps be an added spark to generate more interest here. :)
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Last thought, there's a movie about a guy who plows under a corn field while it's growing to make a baseball diamond, and his neighbors think he's a loon. But the line in the movie came true, "build it, and they will come". It could perhaps be an added spark to generate more interest here.
Field of Dreams :wink:

Bill
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Great post JuanKilo good stuff 8)