Looking for seeds...

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
gemhunter178

Looking for seeds...

Post by gemhunter178 »

Building a grow box this year, so I want to try out seeds of a few harder to get species.
Does anyone know where to get:

Any Ariocarpus cultivars
Astrophytum asterias 'bicolor/rainbow' (The one with the pink and yellow flowers)
Neowerdermannia chilensis*
Pygmaeocereus bieblii*
Strombocactus corregidora
Yavia cryptocarpa

Variegate forms of cacti
*ADBLPS has these two, just not sure if they ship to the US

The growbox itself is consists of LEDs and some insulation, planning on keeping it 33°C when the lights are on and 18-20°C at "night"- it supposed to be mainly for Arios. Any problems with other species?
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Robb

Re: Looking for seeds...

Post by Robb »

Succseed has Pygmaeocereus bieblii, and so does MG I think. Succseed used to have Yavia, but I think they are sold out. You could always try koehres kakteen, they have most of the species you want.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

gemhunter178 wrote:Building a grow box this year, so I want to try out seeds of a few harder to get species.
Does anyone know where to get:

Any Ariocarpus cultivars
Astrophytum asterias 'bicolor/rainbow' (The one with the pink and yellow flowers)
Neowerdermannia chilensis*
Pygmaeocereus bieblii*
Strombocactus corregidora
Yavia cryptocarpa

Variegate forms of cacti
*ADBLPS has these two, just not sure if they ship to the US

The growbox itself is consists of LEDs and some insulation, planning on keeping it 33°C when the lights are on and 18-20°C at "night"- it supposed to be mainly for Arios. Any problems with other species?
ADBLPS used to have Yavia cryptocarpa in 2012 and 2013. Not the most recent list. Maybe in November 2015 again? It is the only list I know that ever had Yavia cryptocarpa. Strombocactus corregidora I think I saw it in one of the Czech seed lists. See the 'Updated Seed Lists' thread somewhere on this forum.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Thanks, yes, I found the Strombocactus in Kaktusy, though I realize most of these plants are Appendix I plants, problems? Or are these plants considered "cultivated" and therefore go under Appendix II? (aware of the fact that in to prove a plant "cultivated" is a pain)
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Probably seeds from imported plants used as mother plant for seed production. They are only cultivated as soon as you raise some plants from the seeds. But we have to start somewhere for cultivating plants. In essence, every species now common in cultivation had to be imported for seeds to hit the market and as a result from that protect the original habitat (as best as possible).
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I have some Ariocarpus Seed species in the grow-trade list section (also seven star Ariocarpus, that's not mentioned on that post) Not sure how many I'll have thoe
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Thanks, but I was wondering more about the risk of shipping them from Europe to the US. Also if ADBLPS ships to the US in the first place?

Also, thanks for the offer, KittieKAT, but most of my plants are currently in winter rest and the only seeds I have on hand is Pediocactus simpsonii. Also, I already have that species. I could still see what I can donate this coming spring though.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"Probably seeds from imported plants used as mother plant for seed production."

The rate the E. Europeans raise seedlings and graft them for seed production they are probably third or forth generation cultivated plants for seed production by now. Also they have often found and have these plants in cultivation ever before they are named, since the person who names them is not always the first to find them in habitat.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

gemhunter178 wrote:Thanks, but I was wondering more about the risk of shipping them from Europe to the US. Also if ADBLPS ships to the US in the first place?
Why not? They ship to other European countries, but I haven't read anywhere they ONLY ship within the EU. Just order and see what ADBLPS does. They always are quite fast to respond on questions, or with payment information and telling you what they have in stock concerning on items you have ordered. One can't ask for more than that, I think.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Mr. Eberhard Kaller from germany has some interesting Ariocarpus and Astrophytum seeds. I have received his list a couple of days ago, I can send it to you if you want.
Bruno
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea let me kno, im gonna have a ton of seeds and I'd like to try to trade for stuff the kids want to plant and grow this year, especially after the incident :(
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Aiko wrote:
gemhunter178 wrote:Thanks, but I was wondering more about the risk of shipping them from Europe to the US. Also if ADBLPS ships to the US in the first place?
Why not? They ship to other European countries, but I haven't read anywhere they ONLY ship within the EU. Just order and see what ADBLPS does. They always are quite fast to respond on questions, or with payment information and telling you what they have in stock concerning on items you have ordered. One can't ask for more than that, I think.
I think I'll do just that, thanks!
Brunãozinho wrote:Mr. Eberhard Kaller from germany has some interesting Ariocarpus and Astrophytum seeds. I have received his list a couple of days ago, I can send it to you if you want.
That would be nice, I would like that.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

I've successfully - and rapidly - received orders without any problems from ADBLPS, Succseed, Koehres, and Kaktusy (well... only the latter with a bunch of problems, but eventually received). So order with confidence!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Minime8484 wrote:I've successfully - and rapidly - received orders without any problems from ADBLPS, Succseed, Koehres, and Kaktusy (well... only the latter with a bunch of problems, but eventually received). So order with confidence!

Which one was that again? There are multiple Czech seed sellers named 'Kaktusy'.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Aiko wrote:
Minime8484 wrote:I've successfully - and rapidly - received orders without any problems from ADBLPS, Succseed, Koehres, and Kaktusy (well... only the latter with a bunch of problems, but eventually received). So order with confidence!

Which one was that again? There are multiple Czech seed sellers named 'Kaktusy'.
http://www.kaktusy.com/_sgg/m3m2_1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;