[wanted] - Rhytidocaulon

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
fabrikas

[wanted] - Rhytidocaulon

Post by fabrikas »

Hello all,
I'm new here, but i looking for a long time one thing.
It's Rhytidocaulon seeds or plants.
Rhytidocaulon sheilae;
Rhytidocaulon splendidum;
Rhytidocaulon pseudosubscandens;
Rhytidocaulon specksii, and others species for Rhytidocaulon.
any information and help would be very helpful, were i can trade or buy.
CactusFanDan

Re: [wanted] - Rhytidocaulon

Post by CactusFanDan »

I'm interested in them too, but I can't seem to find them anywhere. If anyone has any sources, please do share with us. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

It may not do either of you a terrible lot of good, since I'm assuming Fabrikas isn't in the USA and I know Dan isn't, but the only commercial nursery I know of selling Rhytidocaulon is Miles 2 Go. Unfortunately they don't ship out of the USA. Right now they have R. macrolobum and a hybrid between R. macrolobum and R. ciliatum. That makes me think they must have pure R. ciliatum for sale periodically too, though it isn't on their list now.

http://www.miles2go.com/asclepiad.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
fabrikas

Post by fabrikas »

i'm living in Europe, it's sad what can't be shipped oustside usa. Still looking, never stop searching.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Corona cactus has had Ciliatum and macrolobum in the past.
Not sure if they still do or if they will ship overseas, but couldn't hurt to ask.
http://www.coronacactus.com/PlantList/S ... st2013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

fabrikas wrote:i'm living in Europe, it's sad what can't be shipped oustside usa. Still looking, never stop searching.
International shipping is kind of a pain because the seller needs to obtain a Phytosanitary Certificate and quite often the buyer needs import permits. It isn't that hard to get a regular "phyto" (see below about the EU though), but it takes time and money to do it. If I wanted to export plants I sell it would cost me about $50 in fees (even for one plant) and would require me to drive 20 miles each way to the nearest inspection station. I would guess the process could take up to a couple hours round trip (driving and time at the inspection station). My time is valuable so I would probably charge for that. Shipping for a 1 pound package would be $20 or so. Your $10 plant is now going to cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 or more. In other words, it just isn't worth it unless someone is placing a big order. I'm guessing that when I get ready for international shipping I will have a minimum of $200 in plants before I would consider bothering with the hassle.

That is for the "easy" phyto. Now onto European regulations. The EU has gotten carried away with the level of inspection they require. A normal phyto (where they inspect the plant just prior to shipping and declare it disease and pest free) is not good enough for the EU. They require the agricultural officials to come out and inspect the plants to be exported several times over the course of three months prior to shipping (once ever two or three weeks I think). As you can imagine agricultural officials in non-EU countries aren't too keen on doing this and the charges can be quite high since you have to pay for this inspection service. I'd guess it would be in the hundreds of dollars just to get a permit the Europeans would accept. It really is only practical for large scale nurseries that regularly ship large orders to the EU.

Oh, and that is for non-CITES plants. If you want to ship Cacti, Euphorbias, many Mesembs, Pachypodium, etc. you have a whole new level of regulation to deal with on top of what I said above! Fortunately Rhytidocaulon isn't on CITES (the only Stapeliads on CITES are Hoodia).
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants