Propagation by taproot cuttings?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
psi

Propagation by taproot cuttings?

Post by psi »

I degrafted a bunch of L. williamsii grafts that had been on Pereskiopsis, and a number of them have made many taproots. I was wondering about the possibility of taking taproot cuttings and inducing them to form new heads. Obviously there would be no areoles on them, but callus tissue can be induced to form shoots in vitro with something like 6-BAP, right? :-k
CactusFanDan

Re: Propagation by taproot cuttings?

Post by CactusFanDan »

Depending on the size of the taproot they should form heads from points on the vascular rings on the taproot, if you allow the wound to callous over, then plant the taproot and water it like you would a normal Loph. If the root has enough resources to rebuild a head, then it will do so. I've seen this happen to Ariocarpus species, like A. kotschoubeyanus, where multiple heads can regenerate from a taproot. I believe the same can happen with Loph's. So yeah, just plant the taproots once they're calloused and hope they sprout heads. Tissue culture is a pain to do in a home setting, ideally you need a laminar flow hood at least. :P Also you don't need hormones to form callous tissue, only meristematic cells. The hormones are needed later in the process to produce differentiated growth. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
psi

Post by psi »

Cool, I was hoping it was doable without hormones. I have some 6-BAP that I got a while ago but I'm a little wary of using it.
Alber khan

Post by Alber khan »

I just ordered a Variegated Loph for myself which I suspect was degrafted,the seller sent me the picture and when I looked closer I could see small bumps on the taproot which,to me look like new pups forming.Have a look.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (45.64 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
When thousands of foes unite, for my ruins plot–
If only You remain by my side, I then fear not!
I live for a hoped union with thee, it is my desired prize–
Or all my moments are spent- in the fright of demise!
~Hafez (1325 – 1389): From Ghazal No. 287
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

They sure look like offsets to me, Alber. Good growing and a few years and you will have a very attractive plant there.

Steve