Let it live! Diagnosis help please!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
hambonehoney

Let it live! Diagnosis help please!

Post by hambonehoney »

Hello!
I believe my cactus is a Disocactus Flagilliformis. (But would love any second thoughts as to its identification).

#1. What seems to be ailing it-- also seems like a common affliction from other photos of this plant that I have researched. Pictures are attached.

Light brown in color, there is sort of a papery substance spreading over the skin in between the clumps of spines. It look flaky, dotted or "scaly," but stays clumped together as it spreads. Whatever it is, it seems to especially affect spots where the plant crosses over itself, though isn't limited to those areas. When I used some tweezers to peel the stuff off, it removes in small papery pieces and underneath the cactus skin looks intact, though there is residual 'matter' left behind. I cant see any bugs, (my eye sight is pretty good but not perfect :)

#2. At the base there is this discoloration-- different from #1, as it probably wont peel off. Sunburn?

#3. This copper color growth looks different from #1. I won't even bother to speculate this time.

Lastly some of the 'whips' are starting to whither from the tips downward, as well as from the base upward.

I think there might be more than one issue at play here, but on the bright side, this summer its put out two fresh sprouts that have a nice rosey colour. Also, despite all this apparent problems, it overall (to me) looks pretty healthy and I would really like to keep it alive.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance to help diagnose and treat the plant!
Thanks!
Attachments
Disocactus Flagilliformis ?
Disocactus Flagilliformis ?
IMG_5270.JPG (61.84 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Unknown spreading ailment #1
Unknown spreading ailment #1
IMG_5274.JPG (32.96 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Picture 2 of ailment #1
Picture 2 of ailment #1
IMG_5278.JPG (28.07 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Base of the plant, sunburn?