Viola odorata

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Micaela

Viola odorata

Post by Micaela »

I love violets.. In effect I have 2 big pots with a Viola cornuta, a small one with a Viola tricolor and another with my fave: Viola odorata. I found the V. odorata in my garden in late winter, almost spring, it was a spontaneous plant. I had to remove the plant or my cats could have damage it, so I have removed and potted the whole clod with the plant. At the moment, after 2-3 months, it has only big leaves obviously, but I would like to know how much I have to water it. I think I haven't to fertilize it. It's in shade, protected from the sun by other plants.
Does anybody knows some important rule about the Viola odorata? It's so hard to find infos about its cultivation..
Thank you! :toothy4:
-Micci
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
cedillamuerta

Re: Viola odorata

Post by cedillamuerta »

We grow V. odorata where I work. I don't really know much about it other than it'll whine and moan for weeks if you give it too much water and it doesn't like sun or heat when it's young. After about a year or so they start flowering in my experience. We have a lot of mature plants outdoors now. They were under shade cloth but it was torn away after a storm. They've been in full sun for a while now with no problems. They still don't like too much water though. I'd say don't let them get bone dry but they'll be fine being watered maybe once a week or less, depending on what the weather is like there.
Micaela

Post by Micaela »

Thank you very much CedillaMuerta :D
The plant isn't young because it bloomed this spring, but I'll take it in shade/half shade anyway. Thank you again for sharing your experience and infos with me :D
-Micci
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
cedillamuerta

Post by cedillamuerta »

Haha. You're welcome. I was actually surprised I knew anything about it.