John C's 2013 Outdoor Cacti

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
John C

John C's 2013 Outdoor Cacti

Post by John C »

I have been procrastinating starting this topic for a while now. I will try to post various photos from the beginning of this year until now, in order, by bed. These photos have been taken over the course of the past few months. If you are interested in the name of anything, feel free to ask. I would be happy to provide it as long as I have it, as I probably won't label each photo due to time.

My cacti and succulents made it through our mild winter with no problems. The only loss was a nice E. grusonii. It was a bit of a surprise. This is the second time that I have tried this species in my garden. Even though we had a very mild winter, for some reason it died. This seems to be a touchy species in this area. I have heard of some that have been perfectly content with the weather here for years, while others just die. I don't know whats up with that, but I think I won't try again for a while. After removing it, I added a Euphorbia antisyphilitica. I also added two Delosperma sp. and a Lupinus texensis (Texas Bluebonnet) since last years plant never reseeded.

MANY of my garden plants have come from Andy. I want to thank you for your extraordinary generosity in helping get my garden back together. All of them are growing, and many have/are flowering. Thank you so much - I couldn't be happier!

Backyard Bed
This photo was taken at the beginning of the year.

I also added one Delosperma sp. to the backyard bed as well.

John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
John C

Re: John C's 2013 Outdoor Cacti

Post by John C »

Now to my front bed. This is my original bed, and the same one that I reconstructed last year.

Front Bed
Beginning of the year

Without the E. grusonii, and with the new additions.

I don't know about you, but I think there just might be a couple flowers growing on this opuntia :wink:

That's all for now!
"Where the West begins"
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

Very nice, John!

Even though your Echinocereus reichenbachii are gorgeous with their grandiose and beautiful flowers, I am most envious of your success with the Coryphantha (or is it Escobaria?) with those striking white spines and pink flowers - because I have failed in every attempt to grow them.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

John C wrote: Image

What a minute is that a reichenbachii that I sent? What a flower!
John C

Post by John C »

MJPapay wrote:Very nice, John!

Even though your Echinocereus reichenbachii are gorgeous with their grandiose and beautiful flowers, I am most envious of your success with the Coryphantha (or is it Escobaria?) with those striking white spines and pink flowers - because I have failed in every attempt to grow them.
Thanks! The Escobaria is E. sneedii (ssp. leei - I think). I'm surprised that you haven't been successful growing one. I am constantly amazed at what you can grow!
Andy_CT wrote:
John C wrote:
What a minute is that a reichenbachii that I sent? What a flower!
The first photo in your quotation is the Escobaria, the second is the Echinocereus reichenbachii. The flowers were stunning! They were HUGE for such small plants. I love them! 8)
"Where the West begins"
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

John, looks like stuff is waking up in your neck of the woods.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Great show, John!
I have to wait about 4 weeks for that.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook