Yet another lithops question

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
MrCrimson

Yet another lithops question

Post by MrCrimson »

Earlier this summer, I acquired some Lithops, various types (havent ID'ed them yet) and various sizes. I repotted them, and added a layer of fine grit/sand around them.

In mid August I started giving them a little water, leting them dry out between each watering until mid/end of September. They recieved lots of sunlight all summer.

So, I expected them to split, the biggest ones seems to be mature enough to flower. Only one splitted, and put out new leaves. The rest of them remain allmost as they were when I bought them. Now its autumn here, so I put them to rest in a cool window-sill..

Shouldnt they split by now, even flower ? (I have no idea where they are cultivated)
iann

Post by iann »

They are probably all messed up from the treatment they received before you even got them. New leaves now indicates that they probably didn't get new leaves in the spring. Some species are renowned for producing leaves at the wrong time, all three of my L. ruschiorum are producing new leaves right now.

Other reasons for poor flowering are: insufficient size, some species have to be really pretty big; insufficient sun and heat over the summer, this year was record hot and sunny in England and the Lithops have flowered well; insufficient light and water during autumn when they want to flower; possibly insufficient daylight and temperature drop to tell them that autumn has arrived.

If they are on a normal timetable, don't expect to see new leaves until February at the earliest, maybe as late as May or June.
--ian
MrCrimson

Post by MrCrimson »

Ok, I'll see what happens when spring arrives..