selenicereus graft

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Robb

selenicereus graft

Post by Robb »

As my 1st attepmt at grafting i am planning to do a seedling graft onto selicereus. before i take the plunge i was wondering if someone could give me advice
on doing so.
cheers Robb
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
cefalophone

Re: selenicereus graft

Post by cefalophone »

Always use a sterile blade and make sure both stock and scion are in active growth. Also, I have found keeping the fresh graft in a humidity dome(cut soda bottle in my case) for at least 4-6 days helps. Just be sure to watch for rot. What species will you be grafting?
Good luck!
Robb

Post by Robb »

The seedlings are a mix of gymno,noto,rebtuia,mamm,cereus. have a hunch that the seedling chosen for grafting is a rebtuia,
thanks for the help. will carry out the grafting as soon as the selenicereus cutting has dried and taken root.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

That taken root part could take a while! I have a selecereus cutting and it has been sat in the warm in soil doing nothing for six weeks!... :? , even the seedlings are growing faster than it!
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...
Robb

Post by Robb »

My selenicereus has grown about 1cm in about 2 weeks amazing! so i don't think rooting will be an issue :D
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Wow, I wish my one was that fast... 8)
-Daniel

Robb

Post by Robb »

In fact all my jungle cacti are fast growers :P :P
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Lucky, I love jungle cacti, but as my climate here in the UK is cold and humid they can't grow that well... :(
-Daniel

paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

There's some great Grafting videos on Youtube. One is a method that would probably work well for your selenicereus cuttings. You probably won't have to wait for them to root if they are growing that fast. I'd try one. Take a square of celophane or cling wrap and after placing the scion in place, take the clingwrap and put it over your finger in the middle. Then Place your finger tip ontop of the scion and hold it in place so it doesn't shift. Then stretch the clingwrap down to some stiff spines and it should hold in place, providing some preassure and the humidity but not too much. OR, Check out this video and this is along the same lines.. but you can see. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-glXJrswWtw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's some more "Cactus Grafting" videos. I've watched most, some several times and even go back to watch them again from time to time to see if I'm missing something :-)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... a8m2fqKMr0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No matter how many times I watch them and no matter how careful I am to do everything just right, I always have some that fail!

Can't wait to see some pictures of your grafts
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Robb

Post by Robb »

Always wanted to try perskiopsis grafting. Unfortunatly I can not find any plants at our local cactus growers. ](*,) ](*,)
Robb

Post by Robb »

As an update I carried out the graft 4 days ago, yesterday I checked and the seedling felt attached to the selenicereus. is it possible for the seedling to have taken that quickly?
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

yes they may have taken. if they do not fall off when you apply the slightest amount of pressure the vasular bundles may have already fused. If you see new growth within the upcoming weeks you will know without a doubt your grafts have been succesful.
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Sounds good, but in the future, I don't suggest touching the scion so soon. Wait till you see some growth around the attachment point. It should start to look like they are growing or melting together.
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Robb

Post by Robb »

ive been meaning to post progress of the graft for some time now, the only thing that appears to have happened is a shrinking of the sicon but on closer inspection the sicon and stock do appear to have fused. YAY! :D :D :P :P
ali

Post by ali »

it's better to keep it in a humid place for two or three weeks, so it doesn't shrink.