Pollinating epithelantha

Create seed of your own
Cris

Pollinating epithelantha

Post by Cris »

Hello everybody,
I have some E bokei and E unguispina and they flowered very well this year. I tried to pollinate them like i I do with other cacti, but i didn't had any luck. Any tips available?
Thank you,
Cris
Cris
Rod Smith

Re: Pollinating epithelantha

Post by Rod Smith »

I have two E. micromeris plants and between them they produced over 400 seeds this year with no help from me whatsoever. I would have thought that a small artist's paintbrush should do the trick when they are in full bloom. The only reason I could imagine for them not producing seeds is if these two species are unable to cross pollinate.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
Cris

Post by Cris »

Hello Rod,
E micromeris and E greggii are self fertile. E bokei, E unguispina and may be E pachyrhiza are self sterile. I have more plants from each specie, but very difficult to produce seeds. May be a very thin brush could be helpful.
Cris
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

Cris wrote:Hello Rod,
E micromeris and E greggii are self fertile.
Ah, thanks for this info Cris. Good luck with your attempts. A thin supple brush ought to do the trick.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Rod Smith wrote:A thin supple brush ought to do the trick.
Otherwise you might try something as thin as a hair of a horse, or whiskers from a cat or a dog.