my new greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Arjen

my new greenhouse

Post by Arjen »

due to the place I keep my cacti being moved to a smaller location with a significantly smaller greenhouse there's no more place for me.
so I have to build a greenhouse at home.
I ordered one online and they promised to deliver it between 3-6 weeks, it took less than a week!
15 minutes ago it arrived, I've got a lot of work to do! :D
SDC11268.JPG
SDC11268.JPG (45.63 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
majcka

Re: my new greenhouse

Post by majcka »

Arjen wrote:I ordered one online and they promised to deliver it between 3-6 weeks, it took less than a week!
Sue them. Image

You were not prepared. You're in stress now. How you can put it together right if in stress???? Image

Did they offer any help? Bas...!

Hey! good luck with your GH. I think it's just in time. Image
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Arjen,
If you need help just let me know.... :)
Cheers
Hendry
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Cool!
Hope you got one big enough for all those Weingartia! :mrgreen:
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

How exciting! Bet you can't wait to assemble it. Maybe it arrived early because it will take 2-3 wks to understand the instructions :happy3: :read2: Awaiting more photos of your progress.......
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Nice one Arjen! :) How big is that going to be when it's set up? Not big enough, i'd say. :wink: But then, you can never have a greenhouse that's too big.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

If you need help just let me know....
you know it's a long walk right? :D

the size of the greenhouse is (of course too little): 1.93m x 2.57m x 1.95m
I have however ordered the foundation with it, which is another 10 cm added to the height

my progress so far:

I've removed plants and soil to make room for the greenhouse, not ready yet
SDC11269.JPG
SDC11269.JPG (99.44 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
while keeping the wife happy by creating a completely new plantborder
SDC11270.JPG
SDC11270.JPG (53.69 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
I expect to be able to lay the foundation later today or maybe tomorrow
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Keep the pics coming in. I love to see these projects slowly taking form. Buon lavoro as we say here - Good work(literally) or have good day at work.
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

I don't know about the Netherlands but here in Germany it's already cold at night. Hope you get your greenhouse finished before the winter sets in.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

That was a great step to the own greenhouse. More will come soon if you notice that its space isn't enough.
Have you already think about insulation and heating for the winter time? I had -2°C (28F) last night.
Arjen wrote:I ordered one online and they promised to deliver it between 3-6 weeks, it took less than a week!
The delivery time was a joke of the manufacturer. That's the true time which you need to build it up. Image
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Thought it was the time it will take him to fill it :laughing6:
majcka

Post by majcka »

SnowFella wrote:Thought it was the time it will take him to fill it :laughing6:
If he starts from scratch. :wink:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Arjen

Post by Arjen »

susi, grazie!

weather here is still quite nice actually but I will indeed add heating and insulation
my cacti are completely safe in a big heated greenhouse at the moment and I won't move them until this is ready

unfortunately this is all there's going to be, we don't have a really large garden and it's near impossible to convince my wife to add a bigger greenhouse
that being said (@snowfella) my current collection will almost fill the greenhouse, almost, so I will probably be able to expand a little, and be very selective about it! ;) I have already gotten rid of i.e. the large opuntiads, one of those takes up the space of 4 adult weingartias

now for the update:
foundation is in place and the greenhouse will be build today, after that I will have to bring in the electricity, build benches and add insulation
I hope to be ready next week, also to be ready for the challenge of moving my collection (400+ adult plants)
SDC11271.JPG
SDC11271.JPG (94.06 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Oooh! Can't wait to see it finished with all your plants in. :thumbright: Strange though how excited one can get watching someone else doing what we would like to do. We have adjusted a very small greenhouse that we made 10-11yrs ago. Since then it has been used as tool shed, animal food store, plus a storage place for pellets for the winter. :-s As a greenhouse it didn't work as it wan't insulated at all and was covered in just one sheet of plastic. This year however I've stripped it right down to the skeleton and re-done it from scratch. It's functioning much better now with double layer of plastic and I have insulated all round the bottom. I also have a couple of small heaters ready for the really cold spells. It only measures 2x1m but I have over one hundred plants in there and still a few to go. Came home with another two today. #-o Always seem to see something that I haven't already got! :help: I also plan on insulating the sides and roof more as it gets colder.No electric in yet but probably will be eventually.
Susi
Nature Lover
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I love greenhouse builds! Good to see another one going up in the world! Keep taking the progress pictures. Looks like you are off to a good start. I know when I start something like that, I can hardly think of anything else but completing the task.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti