litops winter temperature

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
clemons

litops winter temperature

Post by clemons »

got some lithops off miles a couple days ago..doing fine,most are flowering already..i,ve read to keep above frost in winter but what is a good temperature to keep at during the day in winter?can they take 40 to 50 degrees f. like the rest of my cacti or do lithops have to be a little warmer....
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
hablu

Post by hablu »

Hi Clemons,
I have no choise than to treat them just like the other c&s. About 50 degrees. I have them complete dry, but late winter and early spring (when daytemps rise a little) I moist a bit. They do just fine in that way; I don't loose to many in wintertime. Harry
clemons

Post by clemons »

Hablu,,i read somewhere they like to stay around 50 to 60 degree f. thats a little too warm for cacti..tryin to figer a happy medium..
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
hablu

Post by hablu »

On beautiful winterdays when the sun is very low for a few hours it warms up the room a bit, but not much. At that times temps go a bit above the 50. My plants are in that room from end november (depends on the first frost coming in) till half march. Harry
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi, Lithops will take 45f. without any problems whatsover, if and it is a big if, they are dry and have good air circulation.

Lithops are extremely hardy. It is only when people start watering them at the wrong time of year, feeding them too heavily, or allowing them to 'boil' on hot summer days that problems occur.

I have had literally hundreds and hundreds of them in an unheated greenhouse, simply lined with bubble wrap. The trick is to stop high humidity, which is far far worse than 'dry' cold.

John
iann

Post by iann »

Just like a cactus in winter. Too much warmth and they'll tend to grow, which usually means big tall Lithops unless you have desert sun to keep them compact. They won't grow much without water and you can keep them in a normally heated house without problems. Avoid frost and you'll be pretty safe with any Lithops, dry at the roots of course. Some are potentially hardy to well below freezing given low humidity and a quick warmup during the day, some are not. Best to avoid frost completely in more humid climates unless you can afford losses as you experiment.
--ian
Rob

Post by Rob »

What about keeping lithops in an unheated basement with other cacti at 50F or so degrees, under flourescent grow lights?

Would the amount of light be enough?

Rob