Carnivorous Plant Awesomeness

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
daiv
Site Admin

Carnivorous Plant Awesomeness

Post by daiv »

I have added all the available titles from Redfern Publications now. Absolutely fantastic books - high quality, tons of photos, loaded with info:

I know these are cactus or succulent titles, but I thought I'd mention it since there are so many CP growers here too. I am very excited about these titles:

http://www.exoticplantbooks.com/carnivorous_search/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Saxicola

Re: Carnivorous Plant Awesomeness

Post by Saxicola »

I had been wondering if you were connected to Exotic Plant Books when I noticed both you and that website were both in Long Prairie, MN! Now I know. I have to admit I was exasperated by your website last month. I was trying to find Schulz's book on Aeonium and came across your website. It was listed as out of stock. So I looked elsewhere and the cheapest I found it was for $55, so I ordered it. Then literally the very next day it was listed as in stock on your website for only $40! Obviously you couldn't have known, but boy was I annoyed at my bad luck!

Anyway, I'll check out your new stock. Carnivorous plants have a special place in my heart (and my plant collection) since I lived close to Peter D'Amato (owner of California Carnivores and author of The Savage Garden) and volunteered at California Carnivores as a teenager, so I know him very well.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey, what a bummer! I actually made a mistake when I received the Aeonium books and it was actually never really out of stock. I try really hard to have really good prices and I don't like to jockey the prices around either. There are some titles that copies on Amazon can be found for prices that I can't understand. In those cases, I may have a copy or two just in case, but they usually don't sell until supply gets low. Then Amazon sellers jack the prices through the roof.

Always open to questions on the books. I try not to make too much out of it here on the site, but I like to share exciting additions like the Redfern titles. I am pretty sure that some forum members here probably get excited about awesome plant books like I do.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Thanks. From now on I'll know you are the guy running the site, so if I see a book out of stock again I'll send you a message to double check first!

Speaking of Amazon prices, have you seen the latest listings for Anderson's "The Cactus Family"? I was looking to get one until I saw one book for $184 and the rest at $900 or higher! I don't mind someone charging a little more for an out of print book, but the $900 ones are price gauging. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... ition=used" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, it is absolute insanity if you ask me. I sold my last copies out at around $120, but I also had to pay a bit more for them myself. It was a slow seller for years at $68.00 - guess it doesn't

The same thing goes for "The Cycads" also by Timber Press.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cycads-Loran- ... 424&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got a hold of a handful of brand new copies at a premium price, but I've not had a lot of trouble selling them and have just one left. Even so, I can't bring myself to charge any higher price than it is even if someone would pay it.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I lucked out and got a signed copy of that Cycad book below cover price because I happened to be at my "home base" in Thailand, Nong Nooch Garden, back in 2002 doing ginger research when the International Cycad Conference was there. Loren Whitlock was there selling them between presentations. Didn't realize how lucky I was go get that book until recently when I heard things like what you are saying.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Good on yer!

There is talk of a revised edition, but I have my doubts.