Living Rocks Bowl ?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Plantcelot

Living Rocks Bowl ?

Post by Plantcelot »

Hello :D
I just got a brown, green, grey, and redish Lithops. My sister has my camera so I can’t post any pictures. I will ID them later.
My questions are:
Is it ok if I do a Living rocks bowl that includes Lithops and other rock-like varieties as Pleiospilos or Conophytum?
Any other similar types that could also be included into my rocks bowl?
hablu

Post by hablu »

Ian can give you a much better answer on this than I can do. I would not put them all together in one bowl. the risk of doing anything wrong is to high. The wateringregime for Lithops differs from Pleiospilos. Pleiospilos needs earlier in the season water and more. (At least that is what I do)Harry
iann

Post by iann »

You can do it :) But you shouldn't! Even planting different Lithops together can be challenging, as different species need different amounts of water, and different-sized Lithops need very different amounts of water. Pleiospilos and Conophytums have even more different watering requirements. You can adapt your watering to keep them all alive in the same pot but you'll need experience of how much or little water can be tolerated at different times, how much dormancies and growth periods can be shifted for different plants, and when plants are telling you they need more, or less, water.

If you are still desperate to try mixed plantings, put a Lithops and Conophytum in the same pot. You will need to keep the pot moderately dry until the Conophytum wakes up in mid to late summer, and the Lithops is likely to be distinctly wrinkly all summer, but it can be done. Adding a Pleiospilos just makes things even more tricky.
--ian
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

Thanks guys, I almost committed “planticide” with the poor Lithops. I had no idea that they were too tricky to grow. I will keep them in their small pots until I learn more about them. Thanks again. :thumbup: