TimN 2012 Photo Topic

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
TimN

Re: TimN 2012 Photo Topic

Post by TimN »

Back after a long hiatus. Guess what? Pictures of my plants!

Some Astro flowers. The mottled light is bacause of the shade cloth. The group of four in the center are volunteers.
Astro Flowers sm.jpg
Astro Flowers sm.jpg (154.24 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
One of my favorites! Escobaria minima, a very small specimen. I don't recall where I got this. The pot is about 3" x 5"
E minima sm.jpg
E minima sm.jpg (130.73 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
M. grahamii volunteer in with my Echinocactus polycephala. There's another mamm volunteer behind it and a Turbinicarpus volunteer around the back. I'm going to have to repot this thing to get all the extra plants out.
M grahamii flowers.jpg
M grahamii flowers.jpg (145.09 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
I think I know what this is every once in a while, but I never write it down.
M something ms.jpg
M something ms.jpg (144.55 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
Mammillaria tlolocii - a ssp of M. crucigera. Not sure I buy that, but there are similarities.
M tlalocii.jpg
M tlalocii.jpg (138.19 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
A couple of Turbis flowering like mad. All of my Turbis have been throwing seed and making seedlings. I've been much more successful ignoring them than I have been actually sowing seed. One of these days I'll bring my turbi book out and try to put some names on these things.
Turbis sm.jpg
Turbis sm.jpg (96.77 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
Wigginsia (formerly Parodia) sellowii. This is a plant from my older plant. I really like these with the gray felt on the buds and the nice dark green.
W s something sm.jpg
W s something sm.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 7791 times
So, that's it for now.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Nice collection, and good to see you back, Tim! Don't know if you remember this -- I purchased a 4-head Pelecyphora strobiliformis from you through eBay back in April 2013. I'm midway through my 2018 end-of-summer review at Member Topics, and when we get deeper into it, you might like to see what the strobiliformis is up to these days.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
TimN

Post by TimN »

Wow, I can't believe I sold a four-headed P. strobiliformis! Ah, well, I sold a lot of nice plants a few years back. I am definitely interested in seeing what it's up to now.

I visited a few of my old plants at Tony Marino's last weekend. Bittersweet.... Bitter because I'm sorry they're not mine, but sweet because the plants are doing really well.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
dinfelu

Post by dinfelu »

TimN

that beautiful blooms and that cactus so helaty and strong you show us

Congratulations
🌵 Gabriel
TimN

Post by TimN »

Thanks dilfenu! I'm glad to be back taking care of my plants. They seem to be liking the better location and care.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

I was taking some pictures over the past few days.

Both P. strobiliformis flowering at once! I pollenated, so we'll see if we get fruit/seed. I've never had fruit on these two, but I think this is the first time they've bloomed at the same time.
P strobilifornis a.jpg
P strobilifornis a.jpg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
I bought these two as normal plants with single stems. Then came the rats. Both grew back with 20 or so heads. Then came rats II and now they both have 30+ heads. This winter, it got a little chilly and some it killed the growth point on several stems which are now offsetting. The root is enormous underneath all that. I'm excited to see what it turns into.
T krainzianus minima.jpg
T krainzianus minima.jpg (97.61 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
Two Turbinicarpus lophophroides. These two have generated a lot of seedlings.
T lophophroides.jpg
T lophophroides.jpg (150.22 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
Mammillaria magnimamma (or whatever the kids are calling them these days) looking quite fruity!
M magnimamma.jpg
M magnimamma.jpg (137.53 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
A recently purchased Mammillaria theresae that I got at the Gates Show/Sale. Bought from Kyle himself!
M theresae.jpg
M theresae.jpg (102.46 KiB) Viewed 7498 times

Tim
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

TimN wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 pm Wow, I can't believe I sold a four-headed P. strobiliformis! Ah, well, I sold a lot of nice plants a few years back. I am definitely interested in seeing what it's up to now.
Took a long time to get there, but I finally have something to show you:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 72#p363072

I hope you'll enjoy seeing what the 4-head looks like these days!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Now I remember that plant! The big one of mine is from that same batch. The doubleheader I got in Pasadena. I traded one to Tony Marino and it is doing quite well. I got them from plantaseca, as I recall. He used to sell groups of plants.

Great collection of plants! I'm still looking for an asseliformis. Not easy to come by! Great ritterii too!

Tim
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

TimN wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 pm Now I remember that plant! The big one of mine is from that same batch. The doubleheader I got in Pasadena. I traded one to Tony Marino and it is doing quite well. I got them from plantaseca, as I recall. He used to sell groups of plants.

Great collection of plants! I'm still looking for an asseliformis. Not easy to come by! Great ritterii too!
Thanks, Tim! Okay, so you, me, and Craig Fry -- that makes 3 of us looking for P. aselliformis. If you find a source, please PM me ASAP.
TimN

Post by TimN »

These are the plants I bought at the Inter City Sale. Sorry for the bad pictures...

This was cheap, not sure exactly what it is.
MP braunea.jpg
MP braunea.jpg (140.81 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Gymnocalycium dubinorum from Cactus Data. Not offered commercially often, not a common plant.
MP dubinorum.jpg
MP dubinorum.jpg (117.33 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Escobaria minima. I thought the plant on the left was a small form. Then I saw these. There were several to choose from. I've never seen this form before. From Plantaseca.

Also from Plantaseca. It's a match for one I bought from him previously.
MP minima.jpg
MP minima.jpg (109 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Gymno ragoneesii - another Gymno for my collection. I like the brown-skinned varieties with cool spines.
MP ragoneesii.jpg
MP ragoneesii.jpg (112.6 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Escobaria sneedii from Cactus Data. It goes with my Escobaria sneedii ssp leeii
MP sneedii.jpg
MP sneedii.jpg (151.68 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
This was labeled as M. solisiodes. I think it's M. pectinifera. I've had both in the past. I'm kicking my self for not buying the three he had for sale. From Kyles plants.
MP solisiodes.jpg
MP solisiodes.jpg (86.4 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
A two-fer. Mamm standleyii, because Mamm I don't have and a beautiful Echinocereus. The Echino was from Cactus Data.
mp standleyii echino.jpg
mp standleyii echino.jpg (150.12 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Mamm. surculosa. I forgot I've been looking for this. It's one of the Dolichothele group with hooked central spines.
MP surculosa.jpg
MP surculosa.jpg (137.75 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Mamm theresae from Kyles plants. This is the pair for one I bought from him at the Gates show/sale. Not sure why I don't buy pairs when I buy the first plant.
MP tereseae.jpg
MP tereseae.jpg (108.68 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Mamm tlolocii - I bought some from Mesa Gardens years ago and still have them. I was surprised to see this one on the table, so I bought it.
MP tlolocii.jpg
MP tlolocii.jpg (97.41 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
Ariocarpus trigonus. I've been looking for one of these for a while. There were quite a few available, most were large plants will large price tags. I found the larger one, then I found the smaller one on the Miles2Go table for $7. I've never seen this offered on his site.
MP trigonus.jpg
MP trigonus.jpg (106.63 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
That's all. I got a few that have been on my list and a few that were impulse buys.

I got my plants from Mesa Gardens yesterday, I'll take some pictures soon.
Attachments
MP perezdelarosa.jpg
MP perezdelarosa.jpg (116.61 KiB) Viewed 6456 times

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

Not sure why peresdelarosa jumped out of queue....

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

I've been working on rehabilitating the garden areas in the front of my house. There were originally a couple of rose bushes and three massive Opuntias.

I gave the rose bushes away through Craigslist and chopped the Opuntias into pieces and dumped them in a shallow grave (trash can).
front garden s.jpg
front garden s.jpg (167.09 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
With a few exceptions, these are all plants from my Mother's yard. I put them there when I didn't have a good place for them. The small Organ Pipe (in the far bed) was grown from seed. I don't recall where the T. geometrizans came from but I've got a lot of them.

This is my first experience planting cactus in the ground at my house.
T micromeris s.jpg
T micromeris s.jpg (243.55 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
I bought this Thelocactus macromeris from Arizona Cactus Sales over 10 years ago. It was in a 3 inch pot when I got it. The pictures don't really do it justice.

I should be able to finish this part up soon, now that the weather is cooling off.

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

When I got home yesterday there were bees buzzing around the Astros. Weather is getting colder (72F, this morning) and most plants are winding down.

Astros 10 01 19s.jpg
Astros 10 01 19s.jpg (134.52 KiB) Viewed 5916 times

Tim
Sarraceniacrazy

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Beautiful stuff! What's the plant behind the E, sneedii? The red one. Does it have orange blooms?
TimN

Post by TimN »

Sarraceniacrazy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:02 pm Beautiful stuff! What's the plant behind the E, sneedii? The red one. Does it have orange blooms?
LOL. To the left is an Echinocereus, to the right is a Mamm. melanocentra. The orange flower is plastic and was hot glued to a G. saglionus I got recently. I stick it on different plants depending on my mood.

Tim