Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
cactusveda

Post by cactusveda »

i still cant get what exactly Daiv meant. but let me have a try, if am correct, this is my entry. an opuntia tree.
cactijoe

Wild Cacti Contest

Post by cactijoe »

I guess we have to assume that "wild" means not in a flower pot or conservatory. Just growing in the ground somewhere on the planet. Right? -CJ
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That's right Joe!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sorry for the confusion on this one folks. The above cactus would not count in this contest as it did not get planted by nature.
neely9820022000

Post by neely9820022000 »

how can we get any in other parts of the world than american continent?
cactusveda

Post by cactusveda »

i think my submission will satisfy your criteria :?
cactusveda

Post by cactusveda »

i think there is some confusion regarding the domestic cacti contest also.if someone will go through the pics, he will certainly say that it is a cactus flower contest rather than of a cactus. i would love to see the beauty beyond all your flowers and that is cactus alone! am extremely unhappy about those pics in domestic thread :evil: :evil:
hob

Post by hob »

neely9820022000 wrote:how can we get any in other parts of the world than american continent?
the only wild thing here with splkes are the brambles at the bottom of the garden :lol:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
hob

Post by hob »

cactusveda wrote:i think there is some confusion regarding the domestic cacti contest also.if someone will go through the pics, he will certainly say that it is a cactus flower contest rather than of a cactus. i would love to see the beauty beyond all your flowers and that is cactus alone! am extremely unhappy about those pics in domestic thread :evil: :evil:
cactusveda i see nothing in the rules that states the cactus must not be in flower.
The topic is "Domestic Cacti" with a focus on CactiForum member's own potted cacti.

Important Rule: The subject should be one of your own plants, not a photo of one taken at a show or nursery.

Again, the focus is on a single plant.
incurable cactoholic
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

I agree that flowers are not specifically excluded from the contest, but it might have been a good idea to place the emphasis on the form of the plant. But it's too late for that now. I'm still uncertain what sort of photo I will submit.

The wild cactus contest would indeed exclude cactuveda's submission, and any depicting cacti not in their natural habitat. As Daiv mentioned earlier, that will limit the number of submissions since not all of us will have had the opportunity to take such pictures.
hob

Post by hob »

Paracelsus wrote: The wild cactus contest would indeed exclude cactuveda's submission, and any depicting cacti not in their natural habitat. As Daiv mentioned earlier, that will limit the number of submissions since not all of us will have had the opportunity to take such pictures.
well i must admit that i was tempted to post one of Spiniflores fantastic habitat shots for that.....but i made a self imposed rule not to use anything that did not come out of my own camera.........if it's not mine i don't have the right to use it :!:
incurable cactoholic
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

](*,)

I really blew it on this contest! I wonder if we should just scrap it and start over.

I wanted a contest that highlighted plants that are growing in the wild. Not plants that people planted, but as they exist in nature.

I know very well that many of our members don't have access to plants growing in their native habitat. That is why I set up two contests at the same time.

The second contest was intended to be one that allowed everyone to submit an entry even if they lived far away from cacti. This doesn't mean that landscape plants are not worthy subjects. I just thought that we could give landscape plants their own contest in the future.

I hope this makes sense.

Now in the futre I think we'll run this way:

3 Week Cylcles broken down like this:

Week 1 Announce the contest and parameters for that contest. Allow a 1 week period to work out any bugs in the contest rules. Finalize rules at the end of the first week.

Week 2 Submission period for all entries. If pictures fall out of the parameters of the contest, I will send a private message to whoever made the entry and then remove the image (or keep it if it was my mistake.)

Week 3 Voting period. This will be as per the existing rules. If we get a tie, we can go into a tie-breaker or just post it as a first place tie.

Lastly, there isn't any reason for anyone to be upset as these contests are strictly just for fun. I happen to post an entry in every one so far to get the contest started. You don't have to enter a picture, but everyone should vote! :wink:
hob

Post by hob »

daiv wrote: Lastly, there isn't any reason for anyone to be upset as these contests are strictly just for fun. I happen to post an entry in every one so far to get the contest started. You don't have to enter a picture, but everyone should vote! :wink:
Daiv i could not agree more :) since i joined there have been 3 contests before this one.....and i entered 2 of them and voted in all 3

my score so far ......not a single vote :lol: (not even mine) :lol:

this tells me,

1 my plants are mostly young immature ones in their first season.

2 i could do better with my camera :lol:

but i still like to take part if i can, it's a fun thing that add's a bit of interest to the forum, nothing more.....no prizes to compete for just a way to show off our best pics to our friends.

i say carry on with this months competition,in both forms.......it's a little late to change it now, and may the best shot win (who knows i may get a vote this time) :wink:
incurable cactoholic
hablu

Post by hablu »

Daiv, just go on in this way. I like it. Just for fun. Harry (two votes)
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

We're committed now ... reguardless of the individual interpretion of the rules.

I say, go on and let the votes fall were they may.

Then we will at least have a consensus :D

GeneS