Aloe Vaombe ?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Valley Succulents

Aloe Vaombe ?

Post by Valley Succulents »

I think that I have another miss named Aloe here. This seed pack was labelled Aloe vaombe but I am pretty sure that this is not Aloe vaombe. I found some pics of Aloe vaombe seedlings and the show no signs of spiny bumps on their leaves. Pics of the adult are smoothed leaved. Any help would be appreciated. Image
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Looks like A. marlothii to me.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Harriet wrote:Looks like A. marlothii to me.
I agree, could also be ferox or aculatea or?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
iann

Post by iann »

Tony wrote:
I agree, could also be ferox or aculatea or?
This looks like the one that I always thinks looks like A. ferox, but isn't :D So that would make it A. marlothii :lol:
--ian
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

I don't think it could be A aculeata. It's not easy to make out in this lighting, but I don't see any sign of the lighter base of the prickles that typifies A aculeata. On that species they look almost like whitehead blemishes. All are gorgeous and I have a bunch of A aculeata, marlothii, ferox, and don't forget A excelsa -- (5 aculeata, 7 marlothii, 3 ferox, 1 excelsa).

I talk myself into thinking I can tell the different between young A marlothii and A ferox, but when it comes down to it, I'm not totally sure I can (in some closer-looking cases).
Tony

Post by Tony »

Until I have personally grown all of the thorny leaved aloe plants from seed from reliable sources I will never really know which is which.
I have grown one of each, A. aculeata, marlothii and ferox, from aproximatly the size of the plant in the pic and A. marlothii is the closest match in my eye.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

We've seen thousands of Aloe ferox in the past 6 weeks. That could be. I've seen some with even more prickles that that one. I like to divide ferox and marlothii by skin color. More green for ferox and more grey for marlothii.

You will probably not know for sure until it blooms. I agree that it is not aculeata.
Buck Hemenway