mealies :(

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
jimmie25

mealies :(

Post by jimmie25 »

I just found one pathetic mealy bug on my ferocactus (so I guess I caught it early?) :(
Callerd granny who said as first aid i gotta scratch it off and spray the plant with coffee ?? :lol: Anyway, I did that (cuz grandma's always right, isn't she?`) and moved all the other plants away from the fero. they're in seperated pots, so how likely is it they all (7!) got infected too? I'm off to get some real stuff soon but will I have to treat all the other plants too? This is gonna leave quite some damage on it (them) isn't it? :cry:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

No real visible damage unless you have a lot of them.

Anyway, the best thing to do would be to water them with a systemic. It would not be a bad idea to inspect the roots on the one that had the bug. Root mealies can go undetected for some time.

If it does have root mealies, then you might want to check the others.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
jimmie25

Post by jimmie25 »

they can infect the others even tho they're in separated pots? :x great. that's annoying :evil:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yep, they have legs and know how to use them. 8)
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

The mealies you see and recognise are adult females. Males are completely different, fly, and you wouldn't recognise them. Nymphs are tiny white specks and then they develop in stages looking more and more like the adults.

The adult females fairly quickly surround themselves with wool and lay eggs. Once you get to this stage they will be everywhere within a few weeks. The adults stay put unless you force them to move, but the nymphs crawl off to find new homes.
--ian
jimmie25

Post by jimmie25 »

oh, so i won the lottery here. fancy.
jimmie25

Post by jimmie25 »

I took two pictures of one of my cacti (my very fave one indeed!). I have no idea what mealybugs look like on roots (but I figure I'd probably recognize them..?).. can anyone of you see anything suspicious on these pics? Hope they're ok quality...

JeffWhiteDevil

Re: mealies :(

Post by JeffWhiteDevil »

jimmie25 wrote:Callerd granny who said as first aid i gotta scratch it off and spray the plant with coffee ?? :lol: Anyway, I did that (cuz grandma's always right, isn't she?`)
This article named "Coffee, Cycads' New Best Friend?" is an interesting read, http://www.cycad.org/documents/Broome-Coffee-2007.pdf

:)
jimmie25

Post by jimmie25 »

so... what i'm wondering is, doesn't the cooffee cause mould? and could I just water/spray my plants with coffee then to prevent bugs etc?
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

jimmie25 wrote:doesn't the cooffee cause mould?
That is what I would fear, so until someone proves that it does not, I will not spray coffee on my plants.

Root mealy bugs are smaller than the other type, but I cannot see any signs of them in the photos. I suggest that you replace the compost with something with less peat.
jimmie25

Post by jimmie25 »

Yeah just repotted the plant. And from what I hear (grandma <3) black coffee doesn't cause mould as long as you use 3/4 water and 1/4 black coffee. can anyone confirm that? :)
iann

Post by iann »

Feel free to experiment on anything you don't mind losing, but I'll not be bothering with the coffee so long as there are more reliable ways to kill the mealies without harming my plants :)
--ian
rcs

Post by rcs »

Why don't you try a systemic pesticide?
jimmie25

Post by jimmie25 »

i will as soon as I HAVE TO. Fero looks good now 24hrs after the coffee bath.
rcs

Post by rcs »

If you don't want to use chemicals you can always use neem. This works to some degree in repelling insects.