purchasing cactus from thailand on Ebay

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
evelyn

purchasing cactus from thailand on Ebay

Post by evelyn »

I was looking at cacti on ebay and bid on a cactus from Thailand. I won the auction. Needless to say, I did not do my homework before hand and now I'm paranoid about customs. Has anyone done this before? What should I expect? Am I screwed? Thanks.
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

Did you get the proper certs from the seller? Ive been tempted to try one of those guys for a while now. Where are you located? You may be the guinea pig.
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

I dunno. I bought it from pkauctiononlinethailand and I live in TX. They say they can send it anywhere, but they're not responsible if your cactus gets confiscated by customs in your country. I definitely don't have any permits or anything. I just sent the seller a note asking if he has had success sending plants to the US or if there are any permits I need. We'll see what he says...
TimN

Post by TimN »

I've bought plants from Thailand, England, and China in the recent past. I haven't had any problems (so far!)

Whenever I've asked if they have problems sending plants to the US, they say, "no problem!"

So, hopefully yours will arrive without any problems!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

Awesome, Tim!! Thank you so much for your reply :). I did ask, and just like you said, he replied "no problem". So funny!
iann

Post by iann »

Illegal without permits (phytosanitary and CITES). Might get confiscated. Probably won't.
--ian
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

please think twice, theres nothing worse than reading a paper from customs saying they confiscated your plants.. I am NEVER going to do that again
and waste $ because of US customs..you're better off getting seeds in the mail IMO (in my opinion) what exact cactus are you looking for??
Mexican cacti UNITE
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Enzo wrote:please think twice, theres nothing worse than reading a paper from customs saying they confiscated your plants.. I am NEVER going to do that again
and waste $ because of US customs..you're better off getting seeds in the mail IMO (in my opinion) what exact cactus are you looking for??
thats just my 2 cents, I dont mean to sound rude :)
Mexican cacti UNITE
Rebel Squirrel

Post by Rebel Squirrel »

California has different import restrictions on plants than other US states - I remember when driving into CA (while moving from Louisiana to Oregon some years ago) that there was a customs-like checkpoint where they wanted to know about any plant material in my vehicle (even fruits and vegetables). I didn't have any, but figured (because of the fruit thing) that they were looking for agricultural pests.

Let us know what happens!
tudedude

Post by tudedude »

yes I'm curious about CA, I know we're a very strict state.

Enzo, did yours have the cites and phyto when they got confiscated?
Jefff

Post by Jefff »

I just posted a question about these papers in another cactus forum:

Today I bought a cactus from ebay from Thailand. It's a small Gymno grafted on a Hylocereus. The seller immediately ebay messaged me with "Hello,

Do you want Cites export permit and Phytosanitary ?
The paperwork is 10 GBP / 1 shipment.

If you don't want paperwork. I can't responsible or refund if the plants was confiscated by your customs.

Please reply me as soon as possible."

-I recently purchased a cactus from Hungary... no papers and no problems.
-I've bought a few other Taiwan cactus in the past and no papers- no problems.
-In the past two weeks I purchased two Euphorbia's from two different sellers in Taiwan... one insisted on charging for the papers and the other one never even asked. Haven't received either plant yet though.

So now the seller of the cactus I just bought seems to be in a hurry about the darn papers (which is another $16.11 in addition to the $14.50 shipping and $27.50 for the cactus).

Is it really likely that customs is gonna take my cactus if it doesn't have this Phytosanitary certificate??

Should I just definitely pay the extra $16???
I feel this is a bit of a scam and like if I dont pay the money then the sellers will screw w/ me/my cactus or something.

What would y'all do??
iann

Post by iann »

Is it really likely that customs is gonna take my cactus if it doesn't have this Phytosanitary certificate??
Not likely, but possible. If they detect it they will confiscate it.

Entirely up to you. Standard practice that confiscation is at the buyers risk unless they buy the right papers, although I'd be miffed if it wasn't stated up front. Grafted Gymnos are at least exempt from CITES :)

Also, when asking about such things it is wise to mention the importing country. I have assumed you were talking about US dollars, although Canadian would have brought virtually the same answer :)
--ian
Jefff

Post by Jefff »

iann wrote:
Not likely, but possible. If they detect it they will confiscate it.

Entirely up to you. Standard practice that confiscation is at the buyers risk unless they buy the right papers, although I'd be miffed if it wasn't stated up front. Grafted Gymnos are at least exempt from CITES :)

Also, when asking about such things it is wise to mention the importing country. I have assumed you were talking about US dollars, although Canadian would have brought virtually the same answer :)
Wow, thanks a lot for the quick reply iann. :)
The ebay add does say (regarding the papers) "If you don’t want the documents, I don’t responsible about your customs confiscated.".

So what does it mean if I buy the paper and then my cactus gets confiscated anyway? Does it mean that the seller gives me a refund?

Oh, and I am in the US. Sorry... I should have clarified. Unfortunately it seems many of the coolest cacti are from elsewhere.

It's not the the extra $16 is a fortune, but I feel like it'll be like throwing it out unnecessarily If I don't need the thing. And that $16 could buy me one or more nice grafting stocks. :D
PoC

Post by PoC »

I've bought a few cacti from pkauctiononlinethailand and it's been pretty reliable. There's the risk of customs but I've gotten some smoking deals too. Last ones I can think of were a 3-headed own-roots crested Astrophytum asterias nudum kikko and a A. asterias 'Hanazono' grafted onto this mysterious stock. He doesn't seem to speak English very well but I asked about the stock and he told me he didn't know and they call it "Japanese stock" :P
evelyn

Post by evelyn »

Update: the cacti I purchased on ebay arrived yesterday from Thailand, much earlier than the date range the seller had predicted (just 12 days from purchase)! They are in great shape!!! :)