The trouble with CactiGuide.com

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

All the pics i post you can just click them and you can view them way much larger, it also helps to view pics better when ya have a much larger monitor 24 to 27 inch makes for nice viewing of pics.. LOL!! :P
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
hob

Post by hob »

i have a tenancy to post images on the widest size of 600 pixels, i tend to post a lot of images :oops: my eyesight is such that this is ok to me,.........also i always have in mind the loading time of pages for those with slow connections and the cost of disk space and bandwidth to cactiguide.com.

there is a large difference within software that compresses images quality wise, i started off using Microsoft photo editor which although free with windows is crap at resizing images,I must echo Daivs wish to avoid advertising which would allow the financing of greater disk space.

there is a balance to be struck between image quality and the cost of displaying images, for those who wish to display large images there are the options of places like photobucket which can be linked to or a direct upload to cactiguide.com.

Direct uploads to Cactiguide.com have the benefit of permanent linkage but the cost of storage has to be considered, Cactus mall, ( our hosts) charge a fee for storage of information (including storage of images) therefore the cost of hosting increases with the amount of images hosted :shock:

it is then a question of how much are we willing to pay for the hosting of cactiguide.com ?

Therein lies the problem, of how Cactiguide.com is financed................ at the moment Cactiguide is financed by Daiv personally, as a moderator i feel i can comment more on the costs than most, so far my offers to help with payment of Cactiguide,com to avoid advertising have been refused.............my one thought would be to post a minimum of images to avoid costs of hosting. my other thought would be to consider the offer of like minded people to share the cost of hosting the site .....................

just my thoughts on how things should progress............

larger images cost money :shock:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I need to talk to Tony Mace about increasing disc space for CactiGuide as it is. I'll see what kind of options/prices it is. Web hosting isn't that expensive really. I pay yearly so most of the time I don't even think about it.

I'll follow up and see what I can come up with.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

I would leave the Guide as is, I agree consistency is important in regard to maintaining a professional and well--organized appearance. Not so much with the forum though, where inconsistency and a more informal appearance are par for the course.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Daiv, if you want me to pitch in after the enormous load of photos from today, let me know. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

And I could send you more seedlings. :lol:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You guys are a riot! No dire straits here or anything like that.

That said, nothing helps cacti guide, like buying cactus books! :wink: :lol:

At some point we're going to need to expand so I always appreciate these discussions.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Update! I've been talking with Tony Mace (ie. Cactus-Mall owner/host) and we're going to "beef up" the CactiGuide.com account. I'm also going to do some other hosting things at the same time so it is going to take a little time, but within a couple weeks, I'll be looking at our options for increased image sizes.

Stay tuned...

Daiv
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

That's great news! IMHO, 900x600 would be just about ideal for the forum (remember, it's a new wide screen world out there), but 800x600 would also be very good.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Here is the breakdown for CactiGuide.com of screen resolution by percentage of visitors in the past month:

GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

So 80% have a screen width of at least 1280, and 70% run wide-screen monitors. Those numbers will only go up.
iann

Post by iann »

The 1280x1024 is probably all me :roll:

Be careful not to assume too big. More and more people (not me!) are using tiny netbooks now, although maybe more often with Facebook and Cactiguide :lol:
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

iann wrote: Be careful not to assume too big. More and more people (not me!) are using tiny netbooks now, although maybe more often with Facebook and Cactiguide :lol:
Yes, isn't that the rub? Just when everybody gets a nice big widescreen monitor, they stop using it and switch to even smaller screens than they had before!
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Haha -- I had one of those, I thought I was going to get a hernia when I finally picked it up and tossed it in the garbage after it crapped out.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

GS,
yeah mine weighs a ton. I have a feeling I would have the same problem. (One of the many reasons I am not getting rid of it yet!) Give me a breaks It cost 17.99 at one of those Salvation Army places. It was a replacement that someone else broke, and I am not complaining.
(its better then zero monitor!)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.