Pachypodium saundersii soft stems

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Rob

Pachypodium saundersii soft stems

Post by Rob »

I've got a few Pachypodium saundersii seedlings about 2 years old and 4 or so inches tall. They seem to be continuing to grow and are not losing any leaves, but their stems are quite soft if squeezed gently. In addition, their leaves (all quite green) are folded a bit and wrinkly on the edges.

I've tried less water and more water, with no noticeable change. They've been outside for the last few months under rain protection, with partial sun. Pachy lamerii and geayii seedlings of the same age are right next to them and have firm stems and flat leaves.

Is the saundersii condition normal?

Thanks,
Rob
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

My P. saundersii gets full sun and water at least twice to three times a week. The folded, wrinkly leaves is characteristic P saundersii. They don't have flat leaves like some other Pachys. Mine's body is not hard like a rock. You can squeeze it, but it is firm. It sounds like your's is doing fine if it is growing and not losing leaves..
Bill in SC
Rob

P. saundersii

Post by Rob »

Thanks - glad to hear that its' probably normal. The stems being a little spongy were my main concern, but as long as they aren't supposed to be as hard as other pachys, I won't worry about it.

Rob