Seeking Cereus grenadensis form of C repandus, deep-ridged

Post requests and offers of plants you would like to trade. -Read Rules First!
amanzed

Seeking Cereus grenadensis form of C repandus, deep-ridged

Post by amanzed »

Hi,

I'm looking for a deeply ribbed, lightly armed form of Cereus repandus, grown as Cereus grenadensis at the Huntington Botanical Gardens. This form is notable for the knobby or ridged appearance. That is, each main verticle rib has transverse ridges along its entire length.

I have a fair number of things I could trade.

I'm in Los Angeles. I grow about 500 taxa, so I've built up some trading material, including a lot of the common things. I've been in the C&S hobby for a while, growing about 500 plants. Member CSSA, SGVCSS. Many species from eBay, Arid Lands, Huntington BG, Steve Hammer, Altman's, Institute for Aloe Studies -- some ready for propagation.

From THE CACTACEAE, Britton & Rose (1920):

"Cereus grenadensis sp. nov."

"Tall, much branched, up to 7 meters high, the trunk short, sometimes 2.5 dm. in diameter, the branches grayish green, erect-ascending, about 7 cm. in diameter, 7 to 9-ribbed, the ribs about 1 em. high, transversely grooved above each areole; areoles about 1 cm. apart, borne in slight depressions of the ribs, gray-pulverulent; spines about 17, subulate, straight, brownish or gray, the largest about 2 em. long, the shortest about 3 mm, the central one often twice as long as any of the others; flowers many, borne towards the ends of the branches, about 7 cm. long, short-funnelform, open in the early morning, the buds rounded; outer perianth-segments with broad purple rounded orapiculate tips, the few inner ones rounded, purplish; ovary oblong, with a few naked areoles; stamens many, not exserted; immature fruit green, ellipsoid, 3 to 4 cm. long."

"Collected on island of Grenada, British West Indies, by N. L. Britton and T. E- Hazen, February 24, 1920. Type from a slope on the harbor of St. George's.
As observed on the date of collection, this cactus is abundant about the harbor of St. George's and a conspicuous element of the vegetation; it was also studied on hills elsewhere in the southern part of the island, but only the type plant was seen in bloom. The species is closely related to Cereus repandus Miller of Curacao, differing in its shorter spines, somewhat smaller, purple flowers, continuous unconstricted branches and transversely grooved ribs, and also to Cereusmargaritensis Johnston of Margarita, from which it differs by straight spines, somewhat larger flowers, and grooved ribs. The fruit was said by negroes to be edible when ripe. It is called dildo, a common West Indian name for the tall-branching, cereus-like cacti."