search function suggestion

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
madadi

search function suggestion

Post by madadi »

long time reader of cactiguide here but only recently became a member since I'm getting more serious about building my collection and cactus knowledge. :) my name is Adrian and I'm from Chicago. i thought id introduce myself before i make any form of suggestions since I'm the new kid on the block. would it be helpful to have a search function where only titles of threads were included? i get so many search results and its hard to go trough and find the right info. for a beginner like me that likes to do his own homework first before asking questions it would be a great tool. maybe i might be missing something and i don't know how to use the search on this site. thanks for any help and suggestions.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Adrian,
Glad you joined up. The search results do have the topic as a heading and then a couple lines from the post body.

The only trouble with the topic title as an only result is that often times they don't have anything to do with the content from a keyword standpoint.

For example the title may be "When is it time?"

and then the actual message may be about what a good time to take seedlings out of a bag. If you just saw the title you wouldn't know it was about seedlings.

I think this might be what you meant right?

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
madadi

Post by madadi »

ya thats what i was talking about. i guess you know what works best for the site. im glad to be part of this community. cant wait to share my experience and what i learned so far. thanks Daiv
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ha ha, well sort of. More like we've learned to make do with the search that PHPBB comes with. I believe the new version has more advanced search tools and an upgrade is imminent.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti