Questions about my cactus, it might be sick?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
phearis

Questions about my cactus, it might be sick?

Post by phearis »

This is my cactus, I don't know what kind it is, It was given to me when it was 2" tall about 7 years ago. If you know what kind it is, I'd love to know.

Anyway, two things:
I just noticed this brown spot at the base of my cactus. It's not squishy, so I don't think it's rot. It's in fact, rather hard and leathery. And it seems to be cracking in the middle. Is this normal?

Also, my cactus seems to have moved over the last 6 months, from the center of the pot to the edge. Why would it do that? And I didn't know cactus could move.
extinctearth

Post by extinctearth »

Liquefaction of the soil from watering might have caused the cactus to move around. If it is not squishy than it might just be callusing.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Is it heading for the door?

:D
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
phearis

Post by phearis »

Is callusing bad? Is it going to hurt the cactus?

Lol, not for the door, in fact, it's right up against the wall now.

extinctearth wrote:Liquefaction of the soil from watering might have caused the cactus to move around. If it is not squishy than it might just be callusing.
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

phearis wrote:Is callusing bad? Is it going to hurt the cactus?
No.
Scottyzx12

Post by Scottyzx12 »

Looks to me to be corking. I havent seen corking of this spicies but this happens on a fair amount of columnar cacti. Corking is the natural callusing of the base of the stem to support it as it grows taller, so if it is corking you have no reason to worry.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Saw this in the ID thread. I don't see anything alarming in terms of health. It would probably prefer stronger light and a more cactus-friendtly mix. That soil looks like the stuff that is sold as "cactus soil" in the stores, which is not very good for cactus at all.

The movement is quite odd and of course cactus don't move. I would not have thought of the watering thing being the issue, but that sounds feasable. My first thought was possible pranksters that you might have living with you - roomate, wife, little brother, etc.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
phearis

Post by phearis »

Nope, I live by myself and I doubt my cat moved it. Besides, it happened gradually over about 6 months and I only water about once a month. So liquefaction of the soil seems remote. I dunno.

What soil would you recommend? And where can I get it? This is that Miracle-Gro "Cactus Soil".
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

The Miracle-Gro cactus soil has worked for me when I mixed it 50/50 with perlite, or NAPA Oil Dry. But it needs the added stuff.

When did you last repot the plant? Could the roots be fighting for room and causing the "creepage"?
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

If the soil is loose and soft the central root may have bent under the weight, making it look as if it has moved.
madadi

Post by madadi »

imagine the root is pushing up against the bottom of the pot, its bent and its pushing up the entire cactus out of the pot and shifting it to one side. it would explain why you see the brown at the botom also. it looks like its part of the root to me because the cactus is also being pushed upwards. fear not, your cactus is not running anywhere any time soon. mistery solved lol