More non pricklies

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cactuspolecat

More non pricklies

Post by cactuspolecat »

I'm getting quite a few of these now, 20 plants covering about twelve species including a number of unknowns ...I don't know what's coming over me... I'm going to have to go out now and buy a new Mamm or two. to settle things down a little! :lol:

Haworthia "Grey Ghost", after being given a small pup of one of these a couple of weeks ago, I found this one last weekend, it begged me to remove it from the cold impersonal nursery shelf, part with a few bucks and drive it home... and since it begged so nicely...

I just had to get a couple of its friends while I was there...
H. minima var minima,

and H. mutica var? otzeniana.
Image Image

Whew! I gotta go and pet one of my Mamms now. :lol:

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

O:) O:) O:) Well, they are so beautiful that I guess they did not have to beg you too hard :wink: Your grey ghost is a beauty :love10:
Dominique
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Lovely plants CP, and nice photographs too.

John
hob

Post by hob »

i know nothing about succulents ......but i have seen similar plants in UK nurseries advertised as "alpines" for planting out in the garden.....are they the same type of thing ???
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Hob, Haworthia won't take much frost and it is even advised to keep them between 5 and 10°C at winter. But there are other succulents, like some sedum or sempervivum which are frost hardy.
Dominique
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hallo, CP,
your Hawortias are real nice - bet you didn't struggle tooooo long before taking them in.
One question concerning the last pic: this looks pretty similar to H.cymbiformis to me...? Are they really that alike?
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Hob, I'd wouldn't plant these outdoors here, but H. fasciata is pretty hardy, it survives outdoors here okay. Mine spend their winter in the g/h, (unheated).

Ruth, I was never happy with the name on the tag the third one, and have fount the name should be otzenii not otzeniana, however my plant doese not fit with htis species either, since posting this pice I have had someone else ID it as a form of Haworthia turgida... and with further checking I decided it fit best with the ID H. turgida var. suberecta.
Thanks for your suggestion of cymbiformis, I think you've helped me ID another that I haven't posted yet!

Cheers, CP.
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.