Home Improvements - Cactus & Succulent Style

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Harriet wrote one year ago
I also got the sense that the project was still on-going; if so, I would really love to see the progress, or the finished landscaping and how the the structures look all "filled up".
You were correct ... it has been an on-going project. I don't think it will ever be complete but at least I now have finished the initial master plan.

So, here is my 2011 Solstice update.

Mar 2011 - GH how has electricity, lights and fans

May - In ground bed frame constructed in GH.

Jun - Shade area finished with weed block and 3" of rock over the cardboard left over mostly from the GH parts shipment.

Jun-Sep - spent repotting almost entire collection.

Sep - Shade added to GH roof

Oct - Relocated and reworked cold frame. Built and planted additional beds at north entry and south approach.

Nov - filled and planted in-ground bed. Added additional plants to outside landscape beds

All year - observed, studied, moved, tended plants and house as I became aware of a full seasons change in light and microclimate changes.

Also took breaks in Feb and May to plant 11 assorted fruit and citrus trees that will look much better to my neighbors then the view of the big plastic box. Plus give us something to eat.

Current situation: lots of seeds to plant, seedlings to tend, more potting on, and now, some time to rest a bit while most the plants do the same!

A photo journal is here
To skip the initial build, move to page 4, row 3 where the new stuff begins.

Cheers for the Holidays to all

GeneS
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Gene! Very nice to get an update. I looked over all the pictures. Such a classy setup! I'm going to guess that it was hard to decide which plants got to go in the indoor bed, no?

Obviously some wouldn't go in for sure, but there must have been a decision making process there. How did you narrow it down?

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
leftyman

Post by leftyman »

Just watched the entire slide show, aside from being totally jealous, I have to say it looks beautiful and and you did an excellent job! :D
majcka

Post by majcka »

I remained completely speechless and this really does not happen often. Always have something to say.

ImageImage
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Absolutely stunning!!! I have to say i would be spending all my time out there and not in the house.. :P
FANTASTIC job you did there lookin very BEAUTIFUL... =D> :thumbup:

It takes alot of time to get things done like that it dont happen over night, i still havent completed all my landscaping and building as im way behind, lack of funds :oops: and weather never co-operates. :oops: :oops:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Is Boone a long coat german shepherd. I have had several over the years and just think the world of them.
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Thanks everyone for your comments! Wish I could have you all over for a tour!

some special notes:
It takes alot of time to get things done like that it dont happen over night, i still havent completed all my landscaping and building as im way behind, lack of funds, and weather never co-operates.
I fully agree with every point of that statement except I can't ever really blame the weather here :)
Is Boone a long coat german shepherd. I have had several over the years and just think the world of them
No, but close. He is a Shiloh Shepherd. A rare breed that was developed from selected american and canadian shepherd GSDs selected for size and temprament. Most are coated. We found the breed while looking for a replacement for our prior, coated GSDs. While he is no longer with us, his spirit will never leave.

airCh Burks Boone of Ridgewood, ATTS

Cheers ... GeneS
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Great picture and a great dog. My first GSD I got in 1977 could have been a sister to him. His face brought back a memory of her and I miss her very much too. She was a long coat and schutzhund trained and she had a great life of 13 years. Maybe I'll try to find a picture to share. Thanks again and happy holidays.
Cactus Charlie

Post by Cactus Charlie »

Awesome work! What a beautiful GH and an amazing collection of cacti and succulents you have!
Congratulations! I am very jealous!
Never turn your back on a cactus
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Don't know how I missed this back in December... but I sure am glad it got bumped or I would not be experiencing such delight!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

some how I missed this. Gene S. your greenhouse is awesome. I am thinkign about building one, but I dont have much space in my yard. (I also live in AZ so it would be more like a shade house :shock:
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

What is this plant?

majcka

Post by majcka »

Is there any chance to get a closer pic?
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Harriet asked:
What is this plant?
It's E. horridus, this is the Port Elizabeth form.

majcka asked for a closer pic ... assuming that meant the Encephalartos, perhaps the link will suffice. If not, I can surely produce one.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Cheers ... GeneS
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Thanks! Although we see many different zamia/cycads down here, I don't believe I have ever seen that particular one.

Very cool plant!