Succulents that won't stand upright.

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
tillie

Succulents that won't stand upright.

Post by tillie »

My mom brought me one of those six pack of cacti and other succulents from Wal-mart about two months ago, actually. I'm horrible with time. Anyway, many of them were all cramped up in their dinky little pots were cutting into them and I went ahead and repotted them after I spent a few weeks watering and sunning them up to get them in good enough shape for it. They're doing fine, but two of them don't seem to want to stand up.

I'm not sure what one of them is, but it's in the aloe family, and the other is a bishop's cap. I cannot pack any more soil around them without starting to cover the actual plant body, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do.

Right now, I'm watering them less frequently in hopes their roots spread out more and help anchor them, and I'm thinking of buying some craft wire to try and help get them started. I need to get craft wire anyway because I'm heavily considering trying a bonsai of a crassula cutting.

Anyone have any suggestions? Am I doing anything right or just screwing up more?

Also, I accidently left my pink aloe sitting in water for a few hours. I was taking allergy medicine that made me drowsy and disoriented... It's pretty small, and it's soil is really soggy now.. I tried to sponge some water out with paper towels. I've always had great luck with aloe, so I'm expecting it to be just fine, especially since it's leaves got so much plumper and upright afterwards. About how much of a threat of rot is there?

I think I might have overwatered my seedlings a bit too and have no idea what to expect there...
templegatejohn

Plant Care

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Tillie,

What a nice mum you've got, buying her daughter succulent plants.

Don't do yourself down so much girl, be confident. Over the years (many many many ... years) I have lost more plants than I care to admit. These things happen.

Regarding your plants falling over, you are quite right about covering the bottom of the plant with too much soil. Instead make sure the soil only comes to the bottom of the plant and then put a "collar" of coarse grit (the type used in aquariums or chicken grit) on top of the soil literally as deep as you like to help hold the plant in place. It is a good idea to do this with all your succulents, normally one half inch of grit is sufficient.

You are quite right to allow your plants to dry out. this will help the roots to spread looking for water. Always allow your plants to dry out between each watering. If you do have a plant that you have overwatered take it out of the pot and do exactly what you did, I have used newspaper in the past which is very absorbant as well. Alternatively wash all the soil off the roots (under the outside tap if possible, or that nice mum will be after you) and re-plant in dry soil. Do not water for at least a week.

Your seedlings do need to be moist all the time but not wet.

All the best and good luck.

John