Making the dreaded upgrade...

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
daiv
Site Admin

Making the dreaded upgrade...

Post by daiv »

Well everyone. I've long considered upgrading to the newer version of PHPBB. I dread it because it is going to be a ton of work, but I think it will be better in the long run.

Those of you who post on the BCSS board, how do you like the new version. And I don't mean compared to the previous BCSS board, but to the older PHPBB version that you use here.

You guys especially know how painful such a conversion is, but I think everyone feels it was worth it for that board. Would you say the same here?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Daiv to be honest I don't know what the differences are. Sometimes stuff can be a lil slow to load, and I have a pretty fast internet connection. A lot of that problem was the problem that slowed everyone down, back when they were having updating issues.

I don't really know if this is helpful at all. hahaha

I do know that it is a pain to code chatsites, I did a little work on that back in the day when you could have your own chatroom. It was a lot of work and not really anyone came.. hahaha

Just my $.02 worth! :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I do like the layout and look of the new PHPBB (ie. BCSS CactusWorld online) it's a crisp and simple layout with just a hint of flair. Using it is as easy as the current version.

I don't really know what the actual benefits of the upgrade are, but i'm sure they'd be beneficial. Maybe moreso for the admins and ease of configuration?

I do think a new "look" is due, not to say the current look is bad, but you know what i mean. Change is good if it means better ;)

I suppose the real question is, do the benefits outweigh the long hours put into configuring the upgrade? That can only be answered by you, Daiv.

Help is here if you need it!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well I'm playing around with another installation of it and will see how it goes.

Probably the biggest problem (and it is a problem) on this version is the issue with Internet Explorer and cookies. I get probably one person per week who can't log in with I.E. and they have to delete their temp files, cookies, history, etc. to do so.

There would definitely be some down time and bugs as the transition is made.

I'm going to sleep on this some more. Play around with the new one some more and not rush into it.

Daiv
hob

Post by hob »

the move for the BCSS was overdue, their old board was totally outdated :shock: :shock:

comparing this one with their new one there looks to be only cosmetic differences to me unless you see more from the admin view :?:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I am always on the "if it aint broke, dont fix it". side of the fence, and it all seems to work great for me.
But if you believe it will make running it all easier for you and be just as useful for everyone in the long run, then I think it will be worth the effort.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

It is a big job. Maybe a good project for the cold months? I am with Tony on the "if it ain't broke" philosophy, except when it comes to computer hardware and software upgrades, jewelry, and cars.

Bigger, better, newer, faster and shinier... not necessarily in that order... ooooh yes!

:lol:
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I like things the way they are :D
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

I do not care for the new BCSS format at all. I think CactiGuide is fine the way it is. CactiGuide has character, BCSS looks totally generic, it could be any forum for any topic. Unless there are solid reasons i.e. performance, security, needed features, then I recommend not upgrading.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hmmmm. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

There are some key advantages to upgrading like the bug mentioned above. Also better e-mail notification management, better file upload support, not just images, etc.

However, I think Harriet's suggestion is best: "good project for the cold months".