Weird winter flower!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Arzberger

Weird winter flower!

Post by Arzberger »

Hello together,

anybody have seen this one flowering in winter?

Regards
Alex
iann

Post by iann »

Not in England! I think it is used to winters that are actually cold, so it probably thinks your winter is spring :)
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

What a beauty! I'd bet there are not a lot of those being grown in Paraguay!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Beautiful flower! 8)
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

its clock may be off but it's a fantastic sight! which plant is this?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

That does have cool flowers...is it a Fero?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Arzberger

Post by Arzberger »

Thanks!
I think, the actual name ist Thelocactus uncinatus, but there are a lot of synonyms:
Glandulicactus uncinatus,
Sclerocactus uncinatus,
Ferocactus uncinatus,
Echinocactus uncinatus,
Hamatocactus uncinatus,
Pediocactus uncinatus

@daiv, I'm sure that these I've grown from seed are unique in the country. :wink:

@StrUktO, sure that the 3 weeks of higher temperatures produce the flowering. We call this here "veranillo de san juan" (little summer of st. john). It was longer than usual, but the cold is coming back...

Best regards
Alex
iann

Post by iann »

Rarely called Thelocactus or Ferocactus any more although there are obvious similarities. Hamatocactus is a sort of confused drop-zone for plants that won't quite fit in Thelocactus or Ferocactus, but not currently an accepted name.

It definitely isn't a Pediocactus. Echinocactus is what it was first called but certainly not as Echinocactus is currently defined.

Sclerocactus uncinatus is the name in the NCL, but Glandulicactus uncinatus is a very likely better name and still commonly used. It is nice to see a really dark clone, but the flowers range all the way through browns to maroon. The range of subspecies and varieties is confused and confusing.
--ian
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

that little summer is amazing! how warm does it get? and what does cold mean in paraguay?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Peterthecactusguy

Arjen,
I would guess that it's a little warmer then cold means in the Netherlands, but I could be wrong there! :)
Arzberger

Post by Arzberger »

Thanks, guys...
I also feel more comfortable with Backeberg's name Glandulicactus (although I was told it is wrong), but genera names are just points of view.. arghh!

Regarding our "warm-cold conditions", it is typically south american: on the last warm days we had about 29ºC (84.2F). On Sunday we got a thunderstorm with much rain and within a few hours the temperatures dropped to 10ºC (50F) with strong winds from south. Last night we had 6ºC (42.8F). Tomorrow night I will cover the brazilian cacti with plastic sheets, just in case. There's also a wall around my garden, giving some protection of the cold south winds.

These conditions are something extreme, but I think the plants tolerate it well. I've only watered the graftings, some Gymnos and Fraileas. The northern cacti (USA, Mexico) are still remaining dry (with exception of some outside grown grusoniis).

Best regards
Alex
Peterthecactusguy

Alex thanks for describing your conditions. I have to admit that I am somewhat ignorant of the ways of South America. I haven't been down there but it sure seems like a neat place.

For some reason I had to think a minute when you said cold south winds.. haha winds from the south up here bring heat! :)