A few pics

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Way cool telescope/setup! Around here there is so much light that it's hard to see the stars. One more reason to live in the desert!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

GermanStar wrote:Here are a couple of better pics for comparison purposes. Your guess is as good as mine.

Here's a shot of a flower bud if this helps with ID. As usual, it never opened.

GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Harriet wrote:Way cool telescope/setup! Around here there is so much light that it's hard to see the stars. One more reason to live in the desert!
Thanks Harriet! Our night sky isn't as good as I'd like. Looking north and east, we get a nice starry sky, but looking south and west, we get all manner of light pollution from Scottsdale and Phoenix. My town, Fountain Hills, is separated from north Scottsdale by a very small mountain range, the McDowell Mountains.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

GermanStar wrote:
Harriet wrote:Way cool telescope/setup! Around here there is so much light that it's hard to see the stars. One more reason to live in the desert!
Thanks Harriet! Our night sky isn't as good as I'd like. Looking north and east, we get a nice starry sky, but looking south and west, we get all manner of light pollution from Scottsdale and Phoenix. My town, Fountain Hills, is separated from north Scottsdale by a very small mountain range, the McDowell Mountains.
hmm. I guess I get turned around in Fountain Hills but it's a neat area. My Cousin used to live there but now she's moved up to Paradise Valley.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

When I was a kid my dad had a telescope and we spent many hours being fascinated by what we could find. It worked great in California (cool nights and out in the country), but when we got back to Florida the heat affected how well we could see as well as light from the nearby town and homes.
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Thanks, I enjoyed your film tremendously. :)

GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

More Agaves....

A. 'BlueGlow'
A. ghiesbreghtii
A. potatorum
A. parryi

ImageImage
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

The four small Agaves in the pic above can be spotted here...

DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

nice variety :D
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I really like the A. 'blue glow'. I may have to find a place for one of those!

I am struck by the differences between west and east coast gardening (or more specifically desert and jungle gardening). I have given up on empty space because down here weeds will fill that vacuum in minutes. I know you get weeds in every garden, but here weeds that are not controlled by machetes and flame throwers will take over your world. I figure that if that spot is going to grow something, it may as well be a "something" of my choosing!
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

It was no small job to add the plants shown above to my yard. The job starts with a 6# pickax to try to break up the "soil", once the stones have been cleared from the area. Then dig the hole, add the plant, and back fill. But wait, we aren't done yet. Then I have to use a trenching shovel and/or hoe to dig a trench between the plant and the nearest main irrigation line (assuming I know where that is), then run a spaghetti irrigation line to the plant and fill in the trench. Before I added the plants and other decor, there was nothing there but rocks. All this in 110° heat (because I got a bug up my butt to tackle this mid-summer).

The Blue Glow is gorgeous, I agree, but they're very delicate and absolutely defenseless -- fleshy leaves, thin skin, no prominent spines. This is my third attempt. Of my first two, one became sun-damaged and nibbled (I've since potted it), the other was eaten by a rabbit. Let's hope the third time is the charm.
Last edited by GermanStar on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

No doubt about it, gardening/digging is not easy in triple digit weather, not even in Florida sand!
Peterthecactusguy

GS,
at least you have "soil". In a lot of my yard I have caliche which=ROCK!. So for me I have to use a pick axe to mine a hole much larger then the plant so that it's roots have somewhere to go.

Harriet,
digging in sand might be worse, since it always seems to want to fill in the hole and you feel like you are getting nowhere! :)
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Caliche everywhere here, that's why I need a pickax. That's nothin', the Argentine Toothpick I stuck in the ground a few days back? Little did I know there was concrete there. Pickax got a good workout that day.
Peterthecactusguy

GS,
hahaha, caliche=cement almost.. :)

And yeah. It probably is everywhere. When I planted the Wal-mart bought Opuntia, I had to dig a hole about 3X3 and that was a pain, going through the caliche. It was almost like cement!