Succulents on the Niagara Frontier

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Dmyerswny

Re: Succulents on the Niagara Frontier

Post by Dmyerswny »

Tetrazole wrote:I live on the Niagara Frontier on an island located in the middle of the Niagara River. With the great lakes and river we are lucky enough to enjoy a zone 6+. We are far enough north that the dreaded lake effect snows off of Lake Erie do not often really affect us
I would defenitly call that lucky. It also makes me unlucky.
Thirsty for knowledge. Please water me more than your cactus!
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

Buds over the past week.

Acanthocalycium minitum

Astrophytum myriostigma

Astrophytum capricorne v senile

Copiapoa hypogaea

Coryphantha bumamma

Mystery Plant - Lobivia aurea dobeana suspect

Echinopsis hybrid spineless white

Echinopsis subdenudata

Leuchtenbergia principis

Lobivia haageana

Lobivia jajoiana

Lobivia winteriana

Mammillaria sheldonii - this plantis full of bud all of a sudden.

Parodia species

Thelocactus schwarzii
Last edited by Tetrazole on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

Some blooms over the past week.

Gymnocalycium spegazzinii

Gymnocalycium damsii v tucavocense

Gymnocalycium species

Lobivia haageana

Lobivia haageana

Lobivia jajoiana

Lobivia jajoiana

Lobivia winteriana

Echinopsis subdenudata

Zephyranthes (Rain Lily) - an 8 petaled one, 6 is the norm

Sedum 1

Sedum 2

Sedum 3

Sempervivum 1

Sempervivum 2

Sempervivum 3

Senecio confusus - Mexican Flame Vine
Last edited by Tetrazole on Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

stunning flowers there! isn't that e. multiplex actually subdenudata?
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

The E. multiplex is supposedly a spineless E. oxygona variety. Since I purchased it with the E. multiplex name, I went ahead and kept that on the ID stake. It bloomed very late at night - well after midnight - and had no discernible odor. The flower did not last more than 12 hours, and that was inside out of the heat. There was no hint of lavender or pink to the bloom.

Could it be E. subdenudata? I have several plants, purchased at different times from different vendors, that look and bloom identically to it. These were all labeled as E. Hybrid Spineless White. Perhaps they are all E. subdenudata.

Nathan
― Brigid Brophy
iann

Post by iann »

Flower fest!
--ian
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Tetrazole wrote:The E. multiplex is supposedly a spineless E. oxygona variety. Since I purchased it with the E. multiplex name, I went ahead and kept that on the ID stake. It bloomed very late at night - well after midnight - and had no discernible odor. The flower did not last more than 12 hours, and that was inside out of the heat. There was no hint of lavender or pink to the bloom.

Could it be E. subdenudata? I have several plants, purchased at different times from different vendors, that look and bloom identically to it. These were all labeled as E. Hybrid Spineless White. Perhaps they are all E. subdenudata.

Nathan
Its subdenudata. Did you happen to get it at Lowes? I got one there incorrectly labeled as multiplex
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

Yes, the one labeled as E. multiplex (below) was a Lowe's purchase.

This is the first plant purchased as an E Hybrid spineless white. It was purchased off the internet.

This, oddly enough, is a pup from the plant above. Just why it is so prickly and it's mother plant isn't must be one of those quirks of nature. There are a number of cacti that are very spiny when juvenile and much less so as adults though.

The bloom from the first E Hybrid spineless white. I could not locate a photo of the second E Hybrid spineless white plant in bloom.

This is the second plant purchased labeled as E Hybrid spineless white. This too was purchased via the internet.

So, after having taken a gander at the E Hybrids spineless whites, do you think that these could be E subdenudata as well? They seem to have much more pronounced ribs than the one purchased as E multiplex.

Nathan
― Brigid Brophy
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think your "E Hybrid spineless white" is actually E. eyriesii
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

Daiv, I have put E. eyriesii as a possibility in my notes field for E. Hybrid Spineless white.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and observations regarding the Echinopsis plants and flowers.

Tonight I have three white Echinopsis buds ready to start opening. I hope to post bloom photos for them tomorrow. The details on the buds themselves is really quite remarkable.

Nathan

Echinopsis bud

Echinopsis bud

Echinopsis bud

Pseudolobivia kratochviliana bud
― Brigid Brophy
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

you'll be having some beautiful flowers tomorrow or the day after!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

Well, they have bloomed. The flower designated Echinopsis AHC is on a family heirloom plant that dates back to the early 1950's. I have never had an ID on this plant. It is 8-9 inches in height and around 4.5 inches in diameter. The flowers have a wonderful perfume about them - much like white Easter lilies. They are 5 inches in diameter and are 9 inches from the point the bud leaves the plant body to the edge of the petals. They open very quickly, starting about sunset and being fully open within 45 minutes.

The flower designated Echinopsis Spineless White is from the plant that Daiv offered E. eyriesii as a possible identity. It had been purchased as Echinopsis Hybrid Spineless White. The flowers on this plant initially had little odor other than perhaps dilute freshly cut grass. By the next morning, it too had the scent of white Easter Lilies. They are 4" in diameter and only 7.75 inches in length from the plant body to the edge of the petals.

Both plants - 2 buds on E. AHC and one on the E. Spineless White

Both plants - 2 blooms on E. AHC and one on the E. Spineless White

Both plants - Bloom on left is the E. Spineless White and the bloom on the right is the E. AHC

Echinopsis AHC

Echinopsis AHC

Echinopsis AHC

Echinopsis Spineless White

Echinopsis Spineless White
Last edited by Tetrazole on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Brigid Brophy
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

beautiful flowers!
LazyD

Post by LazyD »

Great pictures, stunning flowers, lovely collection!! =D>
By Choice, Not Chance.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Beautiful plants and pics, very nice! :)