Some help would be nice

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Diamondman

Some help would be nice

Post by Diamondman »

any ideas as to if or when these guys could flower? i assume they are about 10-15 years old. (cephalocereus senelis)Image :-k :dontknow: :toothy4:
Cacti Rule!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Unless you can put that in the ground or a really big pot, I would not expect a flower. These are grown for their hairy spines, not the flowers. Not that the flowers aren't great, you just can't get flowers on small potted plants.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Apart from anything else, this is a high Andean plant and without a lot of high intensity sunlight it isn't likely to flower. When it is double that size and you can sit it outside at your cabin in the mountains ...

Desert Tropicals describes a cephalium as growing on plants from about 20' tall. Unfortunately they say this next to a picture of what is apparently a Cleistocactus strausii, so I don't know how accurate the information is :?
--ian
Arzberger

Post by Arzberger »

Cephalocereus senilis is from Mexico. It wants a hot, sunny place and few water and seems to be difficult to get flowers in cultivation...

Regards
Alex
iann

Post by iann »

Which one am I thinking of? Maybe Espostoa, that's from the Andes :)
--ian
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Right Ian. Probably Oreocereus as well.

Our friend Harvey Welton at Mexican Hat has told me that this plant will not flower until about 40 years old. There are very few plants of that age in the US and Mexico has severley restricted the transport of seed, so there are just a few growers actually growing it outside of Mexico.
Buck Hemenway
Diamondman

Post by Diamondman »

oh..kinda a bummer...but i still like em!
Cacti Rule!