Seed Creation- How long?

Create seed of your own
Scottyzx12

Seed Creation- How long?

Post by Scottyzx12 »

How long does it take for a cactus flower that has been pollinated and shrivelled to produce seeds suitable for sowing? A few days? A week? Several weeks? I am asking this because several of my flowers on my Mammillaria Crinta have shrivelled up and look to be in the process of creating seeds. I dont want to harvest them too early so Im looking for an appropriate time period until harvest.
Thanks in advance guys!
Scott
peterb

Post by peterb »

Look for the fruits to be either a fat juicy green or even bright red with some forms of crinita. You can usually tell when cactus fruit is ripe. It takes varying lengths of time depending on the species or even a particular clone, and what your conditions are. Usually if the fruit detaches fairly easily with a gentle pull and it's kind of plump, the seed is ripe. There are many exceptions, but Mammillaria crinita should fit this pattern.

peterb
Zone 9
iann

Post by iann »

Mammillaria crinita fruit is fairly large and usually bright red (occasionally dull). You won't miss them, they stick out well past the tubercles. It takes weeks or months for them to become noticeable and certainly months for them to ripen. The fruits will start to dry out and shrivel when they are ripe.
--ian