hello from sunny/right now rainy/windy Black Canyon City, AZ

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Peterthecactusguy

hello from sunny/right now rainy/windy Black Canyon City, AZ

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Hello all. I have been here a few days learning the mysteries of the world of cacti. I live in central AZ and am lucky to have many cacti growing in the wild (and my yard) around me. I am inventorying all the pictures that I have and will post some of them soon. At the moment I am un-employed (like many other people). I have made some cuttings and have been dodging the rain drops. I am pretty sure that I am what you would call a newbie at this sort of thing, so I may not know everything (Like all the terms and stuff) however I am a quick learner. I of course have a lot of common names which make things intersting sometimes, since I forget to use them...

What sorta started me on the journey to learn more about cacti is an event which took place almost 2 years ago. During the summer of 08 a construction project moved thru the town I live in and affected my in-laws property. Over 50 Sagauros (C. gigantea) needed to moved so suddenly my yard went form having one of them to have 25. I have followed all the instructions from the people that moved them and so far all the ones in my yard are ok (I think). Two of them at the in-laws house are sorta in question, as they are purple and somewhat leaning.

As for other types of cacti, I am pretty sure that I have a few of the O. engelmanni in my yard. Other then that I have planted an ironwood tree(sorry I do not know the latin name for those) and serveral of the Arizona Mesquites(I beileve they are called black mesquites but I am not sure again).

Anyone with questions feel free to pm me or post on here.

Peter...aka Peter the cactus guy
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Peter,
I noticed your other posts too, but it's always good to make an official "hello"!

One of the best things you can do to get the most of your cactus growing is to join the local CSS club.

I'm pretty sure this is the closest one to you here in Phoenix: http://www.centralarizonacactus.org/

Not to devalue the forum here at all, but nothing can compete with the value of a local, face-to-face club. I know we have members of that one here, but I can't say which is which right now. Some are further south in the Tucson club.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

I second that! The Central AZ C and S club is great. I haven't been able to participate as much as I would like this year due to other commitments, but I highly recommend getting involved.

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi Peter. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Peterthecactusguy

hello all. Thanks for the advice about joining the CSS. I have been thinking about doing that since I got all my cacti.

Daiv, I enjoy the forum very much. It's been a good start for me to get acquainted with what I might need to know.

Peterb, well someday maybe I will see you at one of the events. And yeah, while I am un-employed at the moment when I work I dont have much time to do anything.

Hello Tony.
:D
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Peter,
I too want to welcome yuu to the cactus and succulent forums.
It is true, you can learn an awful lot on this site, but any local input is also quite valuable. There is another benefit belonging to a local cactus society. At least here in El Paso the membership fee is only $10.00 per individual and $15.00 for a family membership. For that small amount of money you receive companionship, free plants through trades and raffles, and also get to go on field trips with experienced guides.
I believe you can't beat this return anywhere.
Anyway, I am glad that you decided to join the forums. :D

Harald
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Hi Peter, Welcome to the forums! :D :hello2:
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D :hello2: Hello Peter and WELCOME to CactiGuide, hope you enjoy it here... 8)
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

hello peter how you have fun on the forum it's full on knowledge and cactus :D
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

Hello,welcome to the forums.
Addicted to crackti !
Peterthecactusguy

thanks all.
I have been offically welcomed very well. I enjoy it here, cause who knew I love the cacti...:)

Hopefully one of these days I wont be so much of a newbie, however I still am one, so I might ask retarded questions, but I am pretty sure we all have been newbies at something...so... I will fire away when I get those retarded question urges. :)
Diamondman

welcoming comittee

Post by Diamondman »

nice to see another person interested in these wonderus plants! :wave:
Cacti Rule!
diamondstate

Post by diamondstate »

Hello and welcome to the forums! :D
Jim
Peterthecactusguy

thanks again all.
Yeah Its nice to know I am not crazy. A few people in AZ and my parents back in PA dont understand my love for cacti. One nice added benefit is I am not longer their slave to shovel their dang driveway whenever we get a few feet of snow. :)
Btw thanks Diamondman, and DiamondState. I guessed correctly that you were from Delaware from your username Diamond State. I miss going to the shore near Lewes, DE.