Project Weekend!

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
masscactus

Project Weekend!

Post by masscactus »

Phase 2 of C&S related projects nearly complete.

This weekend I built a nice 4.5 foot long cold frame for overwintering. Previous years I have kept the plants trayed and racked, covering them in extremes - at times for days. While this has worked out OK, I have had losses due to humidity and draft. Reintroduction to stronger light was problematic as well. The cold frame will hopefully allow me to keep them in much better light and control temperature, humidity, and certainly drafts, a bit more. If anyone is interested I can throw up some pics and plan.

Also got the propagator started! For light I will be using dual 48" T8's @ 30 watts and 5000K with a nice 12 wide reflector. First sowing this week. :) Very much looking forward to starting seeds.
flay

Post by flay »

I was personally interested in building a cold frame for myself too. I only have a couple of plants so I was thinking of something like half the size you built. Do you have plans up? I'm just curious as to the construction you have.

I'm not a great handyman or anything, so I don't know if i can even build it properly in the first place lol
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

I will put some plans together later and PM. :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Bryan,
I moved your post over as it sounds like a great fit for the new section here!

These project posts are really valuable sources of ideas for others.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
flay

Post by flay »

Heya! I thought I would share what I've worked on just today. Thanks to masscactus for the plans, they really gave me great inspiration to pull this through. Although I didn't build according to specifications, I pretty much simplified it much greatly, because I didn't really have the time and weather conditions to spend more on.

Basically used a shelving board, chopped them down to size, and nailed them together good. I don't really know for what to do with the top, but I think I will end up making it an acrylic window of some sort. For now this cheap plastic bag will protect from the humid and much too cold temperatures.

I'm hoping to now get more plants into my collection now that I have some sort of viable wintering shelter for these guys

Thanks to this great community for inspiration and knowledge :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Flay,
You don't say where you are located. Is that going to be outside? Will you have to heat it? Curious to know more about your situation...

Daiv
flay

Post by flay »

Hi daiv! I'm from up in Vancouver BC in Canada. Living on the sheltered coast has its advantages, the temperature is much more stable. It really doesn't get too cold here. I believe our average lowest air temperature is around 1 Celsius, right above freezing. Right now temperatures are at around 6-15 Celsius depending on time of day/night.

Do you think I would need any heating at all if properly insulated under the lowest average temperatures?

Otherwise I might just invest in a heating mat and thermostat to keep things slightly warmer.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

OK, well I don't think heat will be your issue so much as humidity and cloud cover. Even so, there are some mighty nice cacti grown in England so you should certainly get some good results where you are. :wink:

Anyway, I wouldn't invest in any heating supplies in your situation. If you get a freakishly cold night once in a while, and you don't feel there is enough heat stored from the day time, you can just fill a 2 liter bottle or similar with hot water and stick that in there.

So the humidity alone won't be a problem. Just stop watering long before you start getting cooler weather so they can dry out.
flay

Post by flay »

Awesome, I should be able to save a bit of money with that. Thanks for the insight! Now I just need to make it through the first winter! :)
iann

Post by iann »

Depends what you want to grow. There's plenty of cacti happy down to freezing or even slightly below, plenty that will survive it but get marks or sulk for ages, and also plenty that will just keel over.
--ian
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Just a question, will a bowl of damp rid work in his humidity situation?
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Missed this.

That's great you followed up, glad to help! :) This is the link I provided if anyone else is interested, very nice plans I think.

http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/main/pdf/coldfram.pdf

For the propagator, I built a box about 12X14X50 - just enough to allow the suspended light fixture @ 12X48 to hang in or out of, provide venting, and retain as much light as possible. I painted the inside high gloss white. It is super bright and I can adjust the height of the light easily. Temperatures seem to be holding in the high 70's to 80F or so but I am ready to fan if necessary.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Some pictures.

Propagator:

Cold Frame:

I have not attached the lid yet as I forgot to angle the tops of the corner posts, will get to it soon. The mylar back is temporary, I will probably paint the interior white.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Good stuff guys!
Around here the cold frames have an open or very ventilated bottom. Obviously our climate here in SoCal is warmer. But thought I'd mention it as it may provide ideas for humidity control without touching the top lid.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

It will be interesting to see the before/after results of the new cold frame in the future. I know Robert got awesome results with his new greenhouse.