Tortoise food help

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
CactusBea

Tortoise food help

Post by CactusBea »

I have recently purchased 2 opuntia veluntina (sp?) cactus pads (un-rooted) to feed to my tiny tortoise (4cm). I was going to plant them, and grow one on and feed the other. Thing is, too much of them is bad for my tortoise, so it would have to be fed over a couple of months. I don't know much about cacti, but would the pad scar over and stay fresh in between me cutting of bits?

If you need anymore info just ask (not sure i worded it well).
Also, not sure I posted in the right section, but worth a try :)
Thanks
Tony

Post by Tony »

would the pad scar over and stay fresh in between me cutting of bits?

Yes I believe it would be fine in the fridge for a few months.
What kind of tortoise do ya have? we like pictures.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CactusBea

Post by CactusBea »

Ok, so if I sacrificed one pad and chopped bits off, would it be ok at room temperature or would it have to be a fridge?

And also, what do I do with the pad I want to grow on?
It hasn't got any roots and is approx 8cm tall, 5cm wide.

I'll post some pictures of my tortoise in a bit just got to get somthing to eat.

Thanks
CactusBea

Post by CactusBea »

Here's Elvis, 11 month old hermanns tortoise. He weighs 31 grams :)

this is his outdoor home:
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

Can I have your turtle? :)

Maybe I should say please...PLEASE!!!

I'm sorta just kidding. He's precious and I've been dying to get one I just don't know what kind to get.
GardenBed

Post by GardenBed »

Wow, awesome tortoise!!!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Very nice outdoor home! Obviously, the roof is to keep things out (like cats). Did you build that yourself?

BTW - the opuntia pads will keep for a long time even if you don't put them in the fridge.

For the pad you want to grow, just put it on the soil - you can lay it down or stand it up in the soil. It will do the rest. Opuntia are very hardy and it will put out roots and start growing very quickly.

@moombeam - I would recommend a Russian Tortoise as one option. These are readily available, small in size and easy to care for - if you are going to get one from a pet shop or similar. However, I think the very best thing you can do is adopt on from your local Herp society or shelter. I'd bet there are probably tons of them available in your area - especially Sulcatas! Lots of people get these and don't realize that they become huge!

I think also, your climate would allow permanent outdoor living, which would be great.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

This might be a good one to start: http://www.anapsid.org/societies/texas.html

I see there is even a rescue just for turtles and tortoises on the list.
CactusBea

Post by CactusBea »

Thanks for the help everyone the cactus pad destined for growing has been potted up!

If you want a tortoise, there are many options like horsfields (aka russians), hermanns (the type that I have). They are small in size, quite simple to look after as far as tortoises go and hibernate.
There are others that get bigger that do not hibernate like redfoots and leopards and sulcaltas.

The main thing is to give them a large space(outdoors for summer), feed them a good diet for a smooth shell development (weeds, flowers etc with correct supplements), and UVB lighting if kept indoors during colder spells. There are a load of good forums on the web with good advice.

And, no I didn't build it, it was an ebay buy :) It's to stop my cat, any foxes birds etc getting to my tortoise, as he is extremely small (4cm) and therefore vunerable.
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

Cool...Thanks ya'll! I was going to begin searching for what type(s) I would like to start with, thinking young (small) growing not too big. I went to a few Herp meetings when I first acquired my snakes...but we called it going to the snake geek meeting and add that to the beer geek meeting that we regularly attend. And now I'm a happy member of the cactus geek forum. Hmmm...I'm not a geek though :lol: , just the geek that I married must be rubbing off on me. :lol: I'm gonna check our the turtle rescue places too, one of those is just a few miles away. I was hoping Tracy would chime in here too, I'm sure she will.

Sorry to hijack your thread CactusBea, but I've been wanting a turtle for a few months, then saw the pictures of yours. Now I NEED a turtle!!!

Thanks again!!!
CactusBea

Post by CactusBea »

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new addition whenever you get it and whatever type you decide on. They really are great little things! Don't worry, you didn't hijack the thread, I got my answer and my tortoise had his first munch on the sacrificed pad this morning :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

Elvis is just adorable, CactusBea! 8)
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

I got one! I got one! Check the sticky pet thread under Free For All.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Beautiful little tort Bea. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony