Hi All

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
laura hughes

Hi All

Post by laura hughes »

Cactus lover here, I am moving from a cacti rich area in So CA to chilly Prescott AZ (zone 7). Whipple cholla grow naturally in the area and I would like to plant some healthy specimens in the front yard. Any suggestions on where to purchase these? Also, do these transplant easily? I have some growing in another part of the property but I would have to move them, not sure if they will tolerate this. Advice appreciated. I will post this on a different forum as well, not sure this is the best place for this topic.
Laura
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

Hi Laura,welcome to the forums.Whipplei will probably be easy to transplant .I have planted an arm after drying 10 days,and it rooted and has began growing for me.I am sure someone will give you advice on here.You will have whipplei forest in no time!
Addicted to crackti !
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

First off, Welcome to the forum. You should have no problem with your C. whipplei, it can go close to a month before you need to transplant it. It's not easy to kill an opuntiad :D and I can prove it :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Laura,
I too want to extend a warm welcome from El Paso, Texas. I hope you are going to find this forum informative and interesting.
I agree with Bill (ihc). Most Opuntiads are very tolerant to adversities, although I have killed some or was not able to grow them at all, because they were not the "easy" types.

Harald
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hello laura. :hello2:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Laura, welcome to AZ. Many, many cacti can be grown in chilly Prescott, many with better results than where there is not much winter rest.

Are you interested in a lot of variety?

peterb
Zone 9
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) :hello2: Hi Laura and WELCOME! :D Hope you enjoy it here....
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
laura hughes

Post by laura hughes »

Wow, a ppreciate the warm welcome and good suggestions, there is much to enjoy on this site
laura hughes

Post by laura hughes »

peterb wrote:Hi Laura, welcome to AZ. Many, many cacti can be grown in chilly Prescott, many with better results than where there is not much winter rest.

Are you interested in a lot of variety?

peterb
thanks Peter. Variety isn't as important as creating a striking focal point at the entrance to my home, I would like some large specimens that make a statement filled in with some smaller ones. The challenge will be finding mature plants in good condition.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Laura - you'd be surprised at the variety that you can grow there. Take a look at the "Outdoor Cacti" thread and see what we're growing in Colorado, Northern Nevada, the East Coast and even Minnesota!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Welcome to the forums! :D :hello2:
John C

Post by John C »

Welcome to the forums from John in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas! :hello2:
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"