Adenium help

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Franj

Adenium help

Post by Franj »

Hi all :D

Hopefully someone here knows Adeniums. My Adenium obesum dropped it's leaves over winter and did the dormancy thing as expected. Now it's leafing out but the leaves are wierd and stunted. Is this some sort of insect damage, virus or what?

Here's a pic.
Franj

murmanator

Post by murmanator »

Franj,
I dont know if this will help and Im not sure I know Adeniums... but mine looked just like this as well. The first leaves out in spring were stunted like yours. Later as it got warmer the leaves started coming out more normal looking. I didnt have any trouble with the plant all year and it gave me a spectacular flower display that lasted until November! This is not to say there may not be a problem, Im just not sure and wanted to tell you how my plant fared last year. So far this year I dont have new leaves yet.
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi Murmanator,

I'm allready noticing what your talking about. The latest leaf is more normal. Maybe it had to do with the nights still being a little chilly. In any case It seems it will be fine. I was just a little concerned because this is the first Adenium I'm trying to grow.

I was at the Desert Museum a few weeks ago and saw a large potted one fully leafed out and covered in blooms. It's a hybrid called "Crimson Star". It was gorgeous! Here's a pic.

Franj

GeneS

Post by GeneS »

You might have had an infestation of spider mites when the new leafs were first forming? Or, as suggested, a sudden change in temp, light, etc.

A second thought is that it appears to be a cutting and as such, might not yet have developed a strong root system and is therefore more sensitive to changes.

As long as the newer leaves are healthy and no pests apparent. Not to worry. Just give full sun and lots of water now that it's in growth.

GeneS
murmanator

Post by murmanator »

Franj,
That is an amazing specimen there! Im not sure if you make it up to Phoenix much, but at the Desert Botanical Garden they have one of these that is simply huge! They have it on display at their bi-annual plant sales, which, BTW, you can usually find very nice varieties of Adeniums. I grabbed one of those Crimson Star plants in a one gallon can but I had trouble with it this past winter and am trying to re-root a cutting of it at the moment. My older, regular pink flowered plant is doing fine and just started flowering.

PS Experiment with full sun exposure until you are sure the plant can take it. It's a little different here than in SoCal!!! My Adeniums seem to enjoy bright shade with a hint of early morning direct sun.