my story and new pic as well

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jhell

my story and new pic as well

Post by jhell »

I want to share my story...

First when i got into cactus collecting,one of my godmother had this mini collection of different cactus and one day,when we were talking about it. I ask her why u have lots of cactus she answered me cactus is one element used to repel negative vibes. Actually i do believe that extra ordinary thing happened and it's exist. so i said i will collect a cactus if that's the case. from that moment she gave me one.(sorry actually just right now am trying to know my cactus's name) then i started buying cactus i will post every cactus i have now so everyone could see and maybe help me to find their names. this is surprisingly because am searching the name of my cactus then i saw one that look like mine. i saw the picture from site that cactus have flower so i run outside to check if my cactus have one. well am happy to share to all the readers of cactiguide.com that my cactus name."Hernia Macrocarpa"which i just found out the name of my cactus.it has 4 flower which is one of them bloomed already may 29,09 at early morning like 5:30 am.i smile while watching the flower and starting to look for my other cactus if they have flower too.hmm i got paranoid hehehe well in a good thought :D then i got this feeling of taking care of my cactus and search for others that i dont have yet. thank you for reading my short story till next time. "GOD BLESS YOU ALL"Image
Last edited by jhell on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi - a story that invovles growing cacti is a good one!

However, you might be surprised to know that your plant is not a cactus. It is a succulent plant, but not a cactus.

More info on that here: http://www.cactiguide.com/cactiornot/

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Did you take a sniff of the flower?
--ian
jhell

Post by jhell »

thank you for the info i appreciate your comment and i learn from it. i have question about the name i mention to my story is that right name??? thank you again.
jhell

to ian

Post by jhell »

well i didn't do anything i just look at it and admire the flower thank you for sending me a message.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

The name is just about right, Huernia macrocarpa.
Buck Hemenway
TimN

Post by TimN »

Great looking plant! Welcome! I look forward to seeing more pictures of your plants.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
C And D

Post by C And D »

You might want to do a little research on soil

Your soil looks way to rich (too much humus)
add pumice, sand and perlite
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
jhell

heres my collection of my cactus and succulents plant

Post by jhell »

please help me to recognize each and everyone of them thank you and god bless you all!!!! the way i put the pic so i wont confused which one and tell me if cactus or NOT?Image#1
Image#2
Image#3
Image#4
Image#5
Image#6
Image#7
Image#8
Image#9
Image#10
Image#11
Image#12
Image#13
Image#14
Image#15
Last edited by jhell on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Dear me, these are a lot of pictures! So let's give it a try.
#1 is a cactus, maybe a Gymnocalycium. Or an Echeveria? I need a profile pic of the flower to say.
#2 is a Euphorbia and no cactus, but a succulent.
#3 should be a Echeveria and a succulent, too. No cacs.
#4 a cactus. No idea about the kind.
#5 is a Opuntia, probaby a Devil's Walking Stick - forgot the latin name. True cactus. Now! O.brasiliensis.
#6 another cactus, with some small cutling of a succulent: Huernia?
#7 a cactus, maybe a Gymnocalycium.
#8 a crestiform cactus, looks like that Cereus peruvianus monstrose - boy, I need my cactus database at hand.
#9 looks like a Ferocactus. Yes, a cactus.
#10 Echinopsis, another cactus.
#11 definitely cacti, possibly Myrtillocactus geometrizans.
#12 another Opuntia, another cactus.
#13 Aonium or Echeveria...? Succulent, no cactus. Beautiful plant.
#14 Mammilaria, i.e. cactus. Need a flower for more details.
#15 more Mammilarias. Again, need a flower.
Oooofff. Would you mind to give your pictures numbers, whenever you place so many? Then it is easier for us to match the texts and the pictures.
Nice plants, hope you have good fun with them!
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Not much to add, but...

#2 is probably Euphorbia meloformis....could also be E. valida, but I would guess meloformis

And I'll second Ruth's suggestion that you number the pics...makes it much easier for those of us who have trouble counting up to 10, not to mention beyond :)

-R
hablu

Post by hablu »

1. Lobivia
2. Euphorbia
3. Echeveria Black Prince
5. Opuntia
7. Echinopsis
I'm loosing count
10 Echinopsis
12. Opuntia

greets Harry
jhell

Post by jhell »

hi guys!!! am back i have new cactus and succulent i will attach the pic here one of the succulent i think pls feel free to describe it coz i have no idea wat is this tnx god bless

ps specially the red color i think its a fruit coz the pink one is the flower itselfImage
iann

Post by iann »

Its a monstrose Mammillaria. The common spineless one in Europe is M. polythele, but yours looks a little different. It may be a different clone or a spineless form of a different species.

The pink ones are buds, the red one is a fruit, which is interesting because this rarely sets seed.
--ian
jhell

Post by jhell »

hi thank you for giving info about the cactus i post u help a lot and question is that fruit is edible?? or how can i raise more like that? coz i try to open one of that fruit and have a seed den i try to put in a pot but i dint see anything after i put it in.. hehehehehe thank you for the response god bless you and hope to see your cactus also...