Pests and Diseases - New Page

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
daiv
Site Admin

Pests and Diseases - New Page

Post by daiv »

Well this has been a long time commming. Has anyone noticed that the top nav-bar on the site here has been shuffled around? In addition to that, I eliminated the "Buy Cacti" link as it didn't seem to amount to much and I've added a "Pests & Disease" page.

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/

Some time ago Stijn De Naeyer sent me an e-mail wanting me to take over his now-defunct CactusClinic website. Some of you remember this site, I'm sure. Well I never ended up getting the files and after two reminders, I figured I wouldn't bug him for it anymore.

So now, the work starts over again. While I can build a lot of it myself, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have contributions on images or text on this page. If you feel so moved, please let me know.

I also didn't take pictures of troubled cacti as often as I should have. As they say, pictures are worth 1000 words, so in addition to the text, I'd like to have lots of images. I'm also running the larger images on this page at 800 pixels instead of the usual 600. That way folks can really zero in on the problem.

I look forward to your feedback!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Thats a great start! and certainly a worthy resource.
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Thats Great Daiv. :D A great way to improve the guide. Is it okay if we send in pics that are succulents instead?
John C

Post by John C »

Great addition to the site Daiv! 8) Looks good!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi again!

After working on this page some more, there are several diseases that I don't have pictures of:

1. An over-watered plant - not one that has rotted, but one that has split open.

2. Any etiolated cacti pics
3. Any additional pics of desiccated plants
4. Sub burn
5. Frost damage

6. Red Spider mites
7. Snails/slugs - slime trails and munch-marks
8. Bird damage

9. various fungus attacks
10. Parasites
11. Physical damage from moving, etc.

If anyone has images they'd like to add to the new page, please let me know. Also, if you can think of other problems that would be helpful to feature here, let me know.

Daiv
John C

Post by John C »

I have pics of frost damage on my golden barrel,

I also could get a pic of my fero emoryi which is completely dead and mushy do to frost, if you want it.
"Where the West begins"
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Oh, and for the treatment for the Red Spider mites, the cure can be pure neem oil.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

John C wrote: I also could get a pic of my fero emoryi which is completely dead and mushy do to frost, if you want it.
That would be great John! Did we conclude that the E. grusonii was definitely frost damage?

Byron -thanks, I'm still working on the descriptions. I have been fortunate never to have to battle spider mite so I wasn't well versed on the cure.
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:
John C wrote: I also could get a pic of my fero emoryi which is completely dead and mushy do to frost, if you want it.
That would be great John! Did we conclude that the E. grusonii was definitely frost damage?
I'm pretty sure it is. It is mushy along the edge of the ribs and only on the coldest side. It stopped spreading and the rest of the plant is fine. Firm and plump and green. I dug the plant out and the roots were very tough they did not pop off or break. So I would assume that, that is frost damage. I'll get pics of the fero tommorrow when it is light out.
"Where the West begins"
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

daiv wrote:

Byron -thanks, I'm still working on the descriptions. I have been fortunate never to have to battle spider mite so I wasn't well versed on the cure.
The neem oil can also work on the mealies too.
John C

Post by John C »

Daiv,

I posted an uptdate on the E. Grusonii. Hopefully it will help.

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 4126#94126
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well the pests page is fairly complete now.

Still need more images. If any of you find a plant in trouble, try to get good pictures of it! :o As if that is the first thing you'll want to do is photograph your sick plant! :roll:

Anyway, I'll fine-tune the text over time - updating it as we we run into more info on the forum.

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/

Don't be shy to point out errors on the page when you find them. 8-[
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

Good job!!!