Succulent ID

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Franj

Succulent ID

Post by Franj »

Hi all :-)

This looks a lot like Kalanchoe tomentosa but I have specimens of both the "Chocolate Soldier" and "Pussy Ears" varieties and they are different. They have soft toothed leaf tips and prominent markings. This one has smooth leaf tips and just a little brown at the tip. Another variety entirely? Or just an immature "Pussy Ears"?

Franj

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Franj

Thanks to Buck and Dominique, it could be or K. eriophylla or Tomentosa 'Super fuzzy". See the post about 15 down by Guest (me) titled "Unknown Crassulas".

After the posts, I saw some that seemed the same at Home Depot with the eriophylla label. It is also sold by Altmans, which has this to say

"eriophylla, native to Madagascar, has the appearance of a snow-white "Panda Plant" with a slightly less upright habit. Fleshy tapered leaves are densely covered with white hairs and have brown tips. One of the woolliest of all succulents. Flowers are violet, and very similar to those of Kalanchoe pumila. A very pettable plant! Porous soil with adequate drainage. Bright light for woolliest appearance. Water thoroughly when soil is dry to the touch. Drought tolerant. Protect from frost"

Mike
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi Mike :D

By George I think you've got it! Eriophylla looks right.

Franj
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hmm, maybe not. I just read that eriophylla doesn't have brown leaf tips. I guess it is the K. tomentosa "Super Fuzzy".

Thanks,
Franj
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Franj, it appears that your plant is very young. It's probably going to change as it grows up and then it will be easier to be sure of its real ID in a few months since it grows faster than cacti do.
Dominique
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi Dominique
:D

Yes I think you're right. Well see what it looks like when it starts growing in spring. Ah spring, so close, so close :)

Franj