Still more Mammillarias

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
hegar

Still more Mammillarias

Post by hegar »

These are images two plants that made their way to my office recently. The smaller one is 4 inches in diameter, the other one a bit larger. I do have yet another plant that measures 5 inches in diameter. In metric units that amounts to 10 - 13 cm. The plants are a nice dark green, globular, a flattened top, with a depressed center. I found similar looking specimens in my reference books and had to decide between M. grusonii and M. gummifera. My plants have too few spines to qualify for the former, but not enough "wool" between the tubercles to make me give my nod to the latter. The blossoms are 2 cm in diameter and match those of M. gummifera more closely. At this time I am leaning toward M. gummifera. Of course, I need to always be aware, that there are differences between individuals within a specie. Maybe one of you will have a better fit than what I could come up with.

Harald

Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Coryphantha retusa maybe? Or some Eriosyce species...
M.mestre

Post by M.mestre »

Hello hegar

You always show us nice plants,and dificult sp for id :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mammillaria heyderi ssp gumifera its´s a good option ,,,,I think your right
another option could be mammillaria formosa ssp pseudocrucigera...this one has the spines a bit shorter than the one you show us,but it´s a flat one and the colour of the flower fits
Really nice ,and big

I think M.grusonii doesn´t fit

Miguel